Power Flush

Hi All

Simple question (perhaps). Can a central heating power flush damage a 3-port valve?

And for bonus points, has anyone here had a BG power flush done (and want to openly admit it), and do they always replace the pump and 3-port valve?

Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

No idea.

Yep, I had it done 10 years ago. Nope they didn't replace a 3-port valve (my system doesn't have one).

*BUT* after a few problems with the system flush, they did re-plumb the pipework in the airing cupboard, renewed the c/h pump, renewed the heat exchanger in the boiler and re-flushed the system after - all for the original quoted price of the job (£460 IIRC)

Did it work? *YES*, the heat output to all radiators was a lot better, and more even .

There. I've admitted it!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks. Not for admitting it, but for the details. We don't have a problem with our heating in general. The hot water heats up quick, the rads all get stinking hot. The boiler is 28 years old and suffers from a bit of kettling. It was power flushed about 10 days ago and is much quieter. The 3-port valve is failing (a couple of rads start to warm up when only hot water is on) but BG won't replace under our service agreement as they "need to do their own power flush". But they will fit parts that I supply free of charge. The quote for a BG flush was £700. The BG engineer/plumber that called today said that the flush includes a NEW valve AND pump - none of that was mentioned on the original quote. Still, 700 is a bit steep as you can hire a decent power flush machine for a week for less than a ton. So I'm pretty sure the way I'm heading is to get the valve replaced then ditch the service agreement. Sorry for the rambling.

Reply to
Grumps

My MIL had one done. I was not surprised when it didn't fix her problem, which was due to an internal pipe coming off in a radiator (fed from one end only).

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Grumps,

If its been power flushed (and it was done professionally and you have the receipt and warranty documentation) and there is no problem with heat output or clogged pipes etc, then tell BG to sort the port problem out under the service agreement that you have with them as the valve has failed due to wear and tear (or get the contractor back that did it to sort it out (or was it a DIY job that you did - if it was, buy the spares and take BG up on their offer).

But you are right about the cost of the power flush being 'steep' - when I was quoted £460 for mine back in 2001, I actually uttered those immortal words to the supervisor who did the quote, "you must be f*****g kidding" and told them to prove that it was necessary (they did, and it was).

But having dealt with British Gas (and contractors) professionally for many years prior to that, I knew that if there were any problems, during and after the flush, they would deal with them promptly and at no extra charge - as was the case.

With regards to their "service agreement", I've had one with them for around

25 years now (3 star [morphed to Homecare 200 now]) for my heating system with no problems at all on their level of service and customer care (although they are now starting to bitch that my boiler is on their "reduced spares" list.

I have thought about ditching them, but when I delved rather deeply into the detail of that, I found that yes, I could get the service agreement cheaper, but reading the small print of all those that I looked at, it also meant reduced or restricted cover e.g. they would only carry out repairs to a certain value in each year (parts and/or labour), they would only attend breakdowns at certain times, if spares were required, you had to wait for up to week for them -- and so on.

So I've stayed with them - even though they are not the cheapest, they seem to be about the best and most honest to deal with (but I have enough knowledge to realise when they are spreading bull excrement around and tell them so [so they haven't tried to flog me a new boiler yet]).

Many will disagree, but I am speaking merely as I find.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

The flush itself does not really damage the valve/s; the cleaning chemicals used might do, if left in too long before the flush or if not all is removed after the flush. The power flush association has loads of information on this subject on their website.

Reply to
powerflushingpro