Power drill recomendations

Hi,

Can someone recommend a good power drill for under £50?. I need it for occasional DIY.

Is it worth considering a cordless one?. From what I've heard, they need to be charged every few days and the battery won't last more than 2-3 years. Is this true?.

Thanks for any info/suggestions.

Lasitha

Reply to
Lasitha

There is a current thread on battery drills. A cheap 700w mains drill from Agos is what you need. About £17.

Reply to
IMM

First approximation: buy a mains hammer drill; you should be able to get a reasonable one for 30-40 quid. Cordless ones are convenient, but you heard right about losing charge and batteries not lasting all that long (esp. in the more affordable models). A mains drill, while a little heavier, will just keep on going (obviously).

In a little more detail - it depends what you're drilling in to, i.e. how your house is built. If it's interwar or earlier, you'll have solid walls both outside and internally, and the mains drill will be much more satisfactory making holes for wallplugs than a cordless jobbie. If it's a 60s-and-later, with plasterboard walls, your cordless will do for hollow-wall plugs. Resist the "he-man" cheap SDS drills now appearing for 30-40 quid a throw: while they're good for making holes in concrete, they won't last long, they're heavy as hell, overkill for most internal work, and unsuitable for drilling holes in wood.

You *could* think about getting both - a mains drill for heavier work and a cheapie cordless for little jobs and easier screwdriving than manually. One way of keeping it charged without overcooking the batteries (since most cheap chargers will just keep pumping in charge long after the cells are "full", making them heat up and lose capacity) is to put the charger on an automagic timer, set for say one-tenth of the recommended "full charge" time twice a week. That way the cells are kept at or close to full charge in between uses, but won't cook.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Stefek,

Thanks very much for the info. My house is 1930s (brick). I guess my best option is a mains drill. I've had a Bosch mains drill for over 7 years (the chuck stopped working last night!). I've seen a number of similar Bosch models for about £40 (e.g. PSB 650). I guess I will go for one of them. Is a Press & Lock system easier to use than a keyed chuck one?. If I opt for a Press & Lock model, can I still use my old drill bits?.

Thanks again.

Lasitha

Reply to
Lasitha

Yes, and yes ;-) Keyless chucks are handier, just because there's no chuck key to get lost. If that's what "Press and Lock" means, which from a quick glance at the Bosch web site it seems to be, then go for it - the way the chuck holds bits will be just the same (three hardened jaws gripping the bit which come inwards as you operate the chuck mechanism), so your existing collection of bits will be fine.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Thanks again.

Lasitha

Reply to
Lasitha

Snipped excessive fat content.

You should be able to get a modern chuck fitted while you wait at a tool shop. It will cost you from £3 to £10 or so, depending on the quality of the chuck.

Alternatively soak it in turps or oil or give it a squirt of WD40 to see if you can coax it back to life.

To remove a (working) chuck, open it to allow you to remove the screw inside. (This can be a problem as it may be worn down through contact with drill bits etc.) Then tighten an allen key in it and lay the tool on a bench. Hit the spanner with a hammer so it turns the chuck to the right (clockwise as you look at it from behind the drill.)

The chuck should now unscrew.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

It's also usually a left hand thread.