Power cuts

The last couple of sets I've bought(*) have come from Value Power Systems.

Cheapest place I have found.

(*) The joys of an APC UPS. Well known for cooking their batteries, I don't much more than 4 years 99.99% standby use from a pair of 12 V 7 AHr batteries. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ovens aren't that big a load 2 kW? and once up to temperature have a duty cycle. Looks back through power records I think our oven only adds about 500 W mean. So 48 A rather than 32 A on the 11 kV. I shall have to ask the next ENW chaps I speak to what the fuse is on the 11 kV lines, 100 A, 200 A?

I'd be more concerned about how many homes have E7. That is a hefty load at 100% duty cycle for hours. We have a small E7 system, just 9 kW or 12 kW for the hour the HW cyclinder is heating.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

oriented

You trust every person likely to be in the house during a power cut not to plug the kettle into one of these UPS maintained sockets? I wouldn't, particularly if there are any teenagers or adult females about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/ You trust every person likely to be in the house during a power cut not to plug the kettle into one of these UPS maintained sockets? I wouldn't, particularly if there are any teenagers or adult females about.

--Cheers Dave./q

If fancy sockets are around wouldn't they just use the adaptors provided?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Did indeed ask a UK Networks bloke just that as he was replacing a fuse in a supply substation on a large housing estate which had a rather olde cabinet that contained meters indicating the power flowing, and he said that diversity does most all of the time work very well indeed.

Also that its just as well that the fuses they used 300 amp ones IIRC didn't fail at just over the 300 mark but could cope with a lot higher for short periods;!.

The one he replaced hadn't coped too well..

Reply to
tony sayer

Bloody useless they are too for doing that. Never did get any sensible reply from Schneider electric on that issue . Tend to use EATON now don't seem to have that problem thus far...

Reply to
tony sayer

Transmission availability in the UK in 2012/2013 was 99.9999%. Distribution availability will depend upon your power company, but will be of much the same order. Improving upon that is likely to involve rather more than a 'small' increase in cost.

Mind you, if you think reliability is bad now, wait until the reductions in capacity to meet EU green targets start to bite.

Your power company would probably build you an extra power line, if you were willing to pay the cost.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Round here they did a massive program of tree pruning round the whole overheads.

Only ONE instance of brownout in the last gale, and no outages for us.

well, yes...

all 11KV are rings.

So in theory you can totally break the circuit. However that doesn't help if one end is trailing on the ground.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The two most recent power outages around here have both been underground cable failure.

Reply to
bert

In message , Tim Streater writes

Fine, just accept the price you have to pay - power outages, low speed broadband, poor quality road, poor or no bus services, no bank, no village shop, etc.

Reply to
bert

Why just accept it?

I hear city people getting bent out of shape if they have to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes for a bus or train. I guess they should just accept it, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

"Accept" it? AFAIC, those are all benefits.

Reply to
Huge

Round here they are rings linked to other rings, with manual switches that can be opened/closed to isolate a faulty section and feed the sections unaffected from somewhere else. If the fault isn't on our section it takes an hour for the engineers to get here and maybe another hour do the switching. When restoring they close all the switches that are supposed to be closed then open the ones that are normally open, no further outage for those not on the faulty section.

Didn't bang one of the switches in hard enough after one cut the power came back but it ws bouncing about all over the place. Called DNO, engineer arrived in a few minutes took one look at the flickering light and ais "I know what that is" few minutes later short outage and then back solid...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Baker writes

We're a little south of you, on the Dee. We had a three hour power cut one afternoon last week. A sunny day, so we didn't need lights, and survived comfortably with the fire alight and tea made on a camping gaz stove. We do have three bottled gas heaters for emergencies, plus torches, batteries, candles, matches etc., but, in nearly twelve years north of the border, have had few cuts. The biggest problem is oil. The worse the weather, the less likely a tanker is to reach us, so we have had periods of power but no oil. Again, we survive. Gas and electric heaters, open fire, immersion heater.

Having said all of that, even through the two worst winters a few years ago, the snow was deep, and oil tankers were the only vehicles not to get here, but they come south from Huntley. Traffic coming west from Aberdeen was fine, so the village had mail, bread, milk and everything else every day. Aberdeenshire council take a lot of flak, but I think they do a good job, keeping the main roads open, plus most of the minor roads. The little pavement plough/gritter is usually out before 6 every morning, in bad weather.

Yes, there is a price to pay for rural living, but would I swap for city life? NAFC.

Reply to
News

It's dead quiet here, except for the wind.

I have 2 village stores, 2 florists, hairdresser, farmers' store, bakers, Boots, Post Office, best Indian in the world, 3 pubs (and an excellent 4th 1 mile away), 12 Mbit/sec ADSL shortly to be upgraded to VDSL, trains station 90 mins fast-ish to London[1] and essentially unlimited countryside.

This is a proper village, low chav count, almost no crime[2].

You've just got to pick your place...

[1] Well, on Monday now they have fixed the 4 landslips; [2] Mostly small scale nickage, except for the murder a couple of years back which was some thieving very non local pikey scum disturbed in the act of nicking. They are all in prison now.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Poor internet is a killer for businesses. Acceptance is not the solution :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Where I used to live there were quite frequent short power outages - ranging form brief drops to several hours at a time. It turned out that this was partly down to a somewhat inadequate switching station. One day it went up in smoke (along with several adjacent stables). Forcing it to be rebuilt. After that the power was quite reliable. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm
[25 lines snipped]

When we first moved in here there were momentary outages quiet often - the record was 8 in one day. After much calling of the power company (or rather the firm they subcontracted their maintenance to) I finally got through to an actually techie who said that he would walk the line over the next few days and see if there were any issues and let me know. He never called back, but the outages stopped within a day or two and we've had a a reasonably reliable supply ever since. Which is why I never bothered buying any new batteries for my UPS.

Reply to
Huge

Because the 78% of you who moved there knew what to expect.

Around here I do because that's what it was like when I moved here.

Reply to
bert

Then you pay for it.

Reply to