Power consumption of 1 ampere

Question is wrongly put.

An amp doesn't consume any power. It is a measure of current flowing when a certain power is being consumed and will depend on the voltage being applied.

(Assuming DC or RMS with a purely resistive load)

At 230 volts, one amp will be flowing when there is a load of 230 watts.

At 12 volts, one amp will be flowing when there is a a load of 12 watts.

Power (in watts) = Volts X Amps

Hope that helps....

Nick

Reply to
froggers

In message , Bill Gardener writes

I think that your electricity bill might kick in before the fuse

Reply to
geoff

That's not what I said, or are you saying that there is not a 'power surge' when a light bulb is switched on, in other words the power consumption is constant ?

That was not the point, it was about realistic loads on circuits, as you say who would want or need more that 7kw of electric fire on in an average house (and fitted with only one ring circuit).

Reply to
Jerry.

But would it if some twerp had replaced the 30 amp fuse (or MCB) with a nail ? I suggest you re read what I actually said, or are you really suggesting that you can exceed the 'company fuse' rating and it won't blow ?!

Reply to
Jerry.

But if you could, you could run a standard 6-digit electricity meter 'round the clock' in no time and avoid paying for any of the electricity :-)

(so long as the electricity company didn't come to read the meter at an inopportune moment)

Reply to
Alistair Riddell