Potterton Suprima 100

I have one of the above boilers which is now just over 3 years old. It is set to 80% of maximum temperature and the H/W cylinder stat is at 65 deg C.

It has started to intermittently trip to a fault state (red LED flashing).

Unfortunately the installing plumber can't visit until the New Year so I was wondering if anyone can suggest investigation steps that I should pursue.

TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

1) Join the ever increasing number of delighted Suprima owners 2) Search google for Suprima lockout 3) You probably have a faulty PCB 4) try CESLTD for a refurbished pcb or 5) Get signed up to British Gas boiler cover and hope it works the day they inspect it and then 5a) call them in to replace it the next week

Hundreds of houses on our estate were fitted with these boilers, and the engineer we know said he'd done about 40 PCBs.

Of course you could always try contacting Potterton about their obvious design-flawed model, and good luck if you do!

regards

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

In message , Richard Savage writes

1) google "Suprima lockout problem" 2) go to my website
3) replace the pcb yourself
Reply to
geoff

In message , Rob writes

For amusement only, I presume

Reply to
geoff

I had similar problems a couple of years ago at my previous house. The boiler worked OK from cold for a few minutes. Once it had warmed up, it would keep locking out when it was reset.

Following numerous searches on the internet and a posting on this newsgroup, it seemed that the circuit boards in these boilers are very dodgy. Since the boards were expensive to buy and I lived near the Baxi factory, it wasn't much more expensive to get a Baxi engineer to come out on a fixed price visit. £200 got me a new circuit board, a complete strip down and clean, a test of voltages and pressures, 2 hours of labour and 12 months warranty. If the circuit board hadn't fixed the problem, they would have come out and replaced some more parts at no extra cost to me.

The engineer admitted that some batches of circuit boards were badly made. The replacement board fixed my problem and I had no further problems.

The board looked easy to replace so you could probably do it yourself. The question is, do you want to fork out for a new one in the new year or can you live without heating for however long it takes Geoff to repair it?

Of course, it may not be the circuit board .... (always add a get-out clause at the end of any posting just in case......)

Reply to
Antony

Presumably in the US we would have organised some sort of class action, got Potterton to replace every Suprima pcb in the country, claimed $000's for mental anguish, and all met up for bagels in the local cafe.

Oh and apologies for getting your website wrong Geoff - just to clarify, removing and replacing the pcb is a simple job.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

In message , Antony writes

If I have them in stock I send out up-front

Reply to
geoff

Geoff can of course put his own case but I would say that you could reasonably expect at least a return of post service IME.

In which case it would have to be the sensor (likely 30 quid)[not likely if it went in only a few minutes] or the overheat cut-out (cheaper), but the PCB is a known problem which defies the rule "Try the cheap stuff first replace the PCB and gas valve last".

Reply to
Ed Sirett