Potterton Prima 80F suspected electrical problem?

Hi There,

3 or 4 weeks ago my trusty 12 year old Prima 80F boiler stopped working. At the time I gave it a (small well calibrated) thump. It started working again and I thought no more of it.

Today it failed again. In the specific failure mode:

...The controls are calling for heat. ...The pump is running and the fan is on. ...The pilot light is lit ...but no main burner.

I took off the bottom cover and can see the gas valve is connected to the electrical control PCB/gubbins by a 4 way MOLEX style connector.

  • If I carefully wiggle this connector the main burner lights straight away.
  • If I turn down the temperature control it turns off the main burner as you would expect.
  • When I turn up the temperature the boiler *sometimes* returns to the failure mode.

I sense a dodgy connection or a dry joint.

Q. Is this a common failure mode? Is there a specific connector or component that is the most common source of this problem. The benefit of your experience is appreciated!

David

Reply to
Vortex

You've found the fault. You might be able to make a repair with your soldering iron. I've seen this fault on similar models.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I had a similar fault on a Potterton profile.

The pc board connector pins had dry/cracked solder joints. As someone suggested, at the time, you need a magnifying glass to spot which pins need re-soldering. Go easy on the heat applied as softening the plastic part of the connector is very likely:-(

There was quite a long thread here last Christmas, but I think you already have the conclusions.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

[snip]

Guys thanks for confirming my suspicions.

This morning I have unplugged and replugged all the connectors. Right now "it just works".

If/when it fails again I'll rework the solder joints.

Thanks again,

David.

Reply to
vortex2