Potterton Netaheat 50e Outer Casing Hole

Hi

Please excuse a newbie question.

I have a Potterton 50e still working well. The trouble is, the join of one of the two main water feed pipes has had a very slow leak. This has dripped down and corroded the outer casing.

We have had an engineer round who has patched up the hole with fire- cement - but wants to sell us a new boiler now. Is this really necessary? Does the outer casing need to be fully air-tight? It is a big expense we weren't expecting.

Thanks in advance. Olly

Reply to
Oliver

The 50e operates under positive pressure and a hole in the outer casing in the wrong place could be very dangerous. In my opinion a bit of fire cement is not a good enough fix. I would say either get a new casing or a new boiler.

Reply to
Chas

That's a Netaheat Profile 50e, isn't it?

'Fraid so. In fact he should have condemned it then and there, not patched it up. Maybe he was sticking his neck out to help you out, but it definitely needs repair or replacement, and I'm afraid you'll find repair is impossible or uneconomic (since the corroded casing is fixed to the wall and all the boiler gubbins fixed into the casing).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hey, thanks to both of your for your replies.

OK - I think I get the message the new boiler is needed!

We're just waiting to get the quote off him - but then it looks like we'll be going ahead. I've no problem changing it if it is necessary, so I'm almost glad to hear that it is a necessity (if that makes sense).

Now I'm just annoyed with the service mechanic from last year who thought the very slow leak wasn't a problem.....

Anyway, thanks again for your replies.

Reply to
Oliver