Potable float falve

I've got a coffee machine which has to be filled with water and I'd like to bodge (molish) a float valve so I can connect it to the mains water supply.

I'm looking for a very small potable float valve. My first port of call was the aquarium suppliers but the only ones I could find were either too big or for pumped systems.

Any clues?

Reply to
Nicknoxx

or *valve* even

Reply to
Nicknoxx

This would take care of the sensing: go to rswww.com and search for

616-2996 it comes from these people -
these - I LIKE these -
would need a power supply, solenoid valve, bit of gubbinsry apart from that... Seems a bit excessive, though very sheddi

I goove you will end up molishing summat. But before you do, consider simply piping in a tap and a length of 1/8 bore plastic pipe like they use for water chiller feeds. Manumatic is cheaper than automatic.

Reply to
robertharvey

Much more interesting and quite dinky too. I am tempted to go down this route if the simple solution is unavailable.

Me too.

But before you do, consider

Cheaper but inelegant.

Reply to
Nicknoxx

The message from Nicknoxx contains these words:

Two contacts, an amplifier and a solenoid valve nicked from a washing machine. It's how commercial boilers are done. Simple and reliable.

Reply to
Guy King

I think you need one of they old carburetors.

Reply to
Al C-F

Now that's a good idea.

Reply to
Nicknoxx

In message , Nicknoxx writes

It's more complicated than it seems. You need to fill the reservoir with the right amount of water. As the chamine sucks that up and squirts it over the filter you need to stop pouring more in. You don't want any more water until the next thyme you want a cuppa.

Probbly the best thing to do is to have some sort of arrangement that can deliver a fixed quantity of water from a reservoir, then close the feed-valve and refill the reservoir - or cistern. There are domestic-sized gents urinals that have a small version of a WC cistern. You get bonus flush and gurgle sound effects with this.

Alternatively you can run an eclectic pump using a timer to control the water. You then need to set up something to trigger it.

I've seen a model of the old-fashioned village pump, made out of glass. You might be able to rig a suitable motor-drive for it.

For a more high-tech version you could probably molish a peristaltic pump.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Yeah easy - just dangle a Monobloc with the float chamber cover off. (I have one spare, I'm sure, somewhere.)

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Since you're asking about the water side of the problem, I assume that you've already got a solution for ditching the wet grounds / grinding and re-filling with fresh automatically.

Please share.

My own system jbexf so that a fresh steaming pot of coffee appears shortly after I evat this little ovplpyr oryy attached to the unaqyr of my zht.

Doesn't work when I'm gur bayl bar ubzr thobut.

Reply to
Al C-F

I did this with a cheap (=A3300) Saeco Vienna Deluxe bean to cup machine. It has a 1.7l (?) capacity tank and I managed to squeeze in a standard Torbek valve kit from B&Q. I added a rightangle in-line valve and the job was a good'un, don't need to bother with all that refilling now.. Something to keep in mind is the possibility of an overflow.

John

Reply to
John

You want to drink a float valve?

Reply to
Sena

You presume too much. The machine, a Saeco Incanto, takes beans enough for about 30 cups and has a little container which collects 15 cups worth of grounds. This is easy to empty - it's just the water that's a pain because I've conveniently located the machine so that it has to be moved for a refill.

Reply to
Nicknoxx

Ice making chamines use a small float switch as do room dehumidifiers and I'm sure there must be a few other applications but I've never seen a mechanical float valve smaller than in a toilet flush.

Reply to
Cerumen

ooh, mine's a Saeco, got any pics?

Reply to
Nicknoxx

The message from Bernard Peek contains these words:

That's on the simple machines. Some of the more recent sort have a tank on the back with a metering pump that doses the boiler.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm working on that one. There are coffee machines that use 'pods', basically zbarlous coffee-bags. I'm thinking of a belt-feed system. Many years ago I spent some time designing a continuous-flow breakfast chamine. Wheat to toast in one continuous process. I'm particularly proud of the feedback mechanism in the yoghourt-maker and the xerographic toast-butterer.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

In news: snipped-for-privacy@delta.shrdlu.com, Bernard Peek tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

YA Wallace AICMFZU

Reply to
Dave Larrington

Here's a novel toaster along those lines (I quite fancy one of these):-

which resolves to:-

Reply to
Sn!pe

Ahh, someone sent me the picture previously.

I suspect it isn't a real product.

Reply to
Huge