Posting a 1.250 KG Family Tree Album Parcel to Australia

Hi all, I have been collecting wedding photos from everyone in our family I could as part of my family tree research. At least with weddings a date can be found, unlike "Auntie's" tin of good old photos with no names or dates on them :-)

I have made some albums up with 5 generations of wedding photos in them and 72 photos in each album. They are small and neat looking with general family information about each family and were possible a later in life photo too, it shows us aging!

I have four to post to Australia, (from the UK) I do not have any special scales but on my kitchen scales the package weighs 2, 1/2 pound or 1.250 KG.

Are there different postal methods I could ask for? Is all post Air mail now?

I do not begrudge the postal charge but just wondered if there are options ? Mick.IOW.

Reply to
Mick

Other half sent a plate (as in china) to Oz via surface mail a year or s= o back. Took around 3 months to get there but it did and in one peice.

for 1.25kg world zone two would be =A318.50 and arrive in about = a week or less. Surfacemail =A310.06.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Apart from waiting for the next time you or a kind friend or relative flies out there, Royal Mail is probably going to offer you the cheapest options from anonymous small packet/printed papers upwards. I suggest you take a look at royalmail.com and play around with the weights and delivery methods and see what looks best to you. And if you find you are on the margins of a weight boundary you can play around a bit to keep within specific limits. From your point of view, you might save money by combining some or all of them but the gesture you are making might wear a little thin if Aunt Jessie has to stump up a number of dollars to get part of the consignment over to Aunt Arabella on the other side of the continent.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

courier them. I will NOT be cheap.

Id guess at £15-£25 each

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC from looking just now, surfacemail has 2 kg limit. Airmail might be

2.5 kg riseing to 5kg for printed matter.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

does "printed matter" have to be in a plasticy see though "bag"/"envelope"? IOW offering no protection, and general treated as publications & chucked about etc?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

No

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Printed matter can go by a lower rate , but it goes by slowest non priority route.

A decent Post Office is always a great help, my local main P.O. is `king useless, make rules up because not sure of what they are doing. Local sub P.O. are experts at either cheapest or fastest route depending on what customer needs and will pay for. Royal Mails site is good for getting ballpark numbers on cost,

Parcel2go put 1.25kg at just under 30 quid to Australia but 10kg at just under 60 quid if can get them distributed internally from Aus.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thank you all for the help.

Airmail seems the best solution if it is around £20.00 or so. I will tell the clerk it is just photos in albums and hope for the best.

A lot of effort has gone into processing and grouping the albums.

If surface was a quarter of the Air mail price it would have been worth thinking about. Mick.IOW.

Reply to
Mick

Oh FFS! You've found Usenet. Is it really that fecking difficult to find the Royal Mail website?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Which bit of "the maximum weight is 2kg, apart from books and pamphlets where the max weight is 5kg" suggests a "might be"?

After that it's Parcel Farce or courier. I regularly split parcels that would over 2Kg as it can work out cheaper to send two separate airmail parcels.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It is *much* easier to post the same question here AND soc.genealogy.britain.

Reply to
polygonum

Do you not know what "IIRC" means? Unlike some I don't state things as fact if I'm unsure.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You said you had just looked!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

At prices for 1.25kg. The weight limits where only passing information and ICBA to go and look again to check that had remembered correctly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Options other than Royal Mail?

The parcel cost £14.66 by Air Mail. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

Is posting to two groups separately the same as cross posting then?

I asked in both groups because I thought there would be different views on method of sending?

Mick.

Reply to
Mick

I think it is not the same - though some groups reject all cross-posts so it is not always an option.

Cross-posting (limited, of course) allows all viewers to see each others' responses and hence avoid saying the same thing again, repeating 'research', whatever.

Reply to
polygonum