Postcode wildcard

ISTR there is a sort of wildcard entry which can be used as the last part of a postcode to refer to an area.

It can usually be used when a web page needs a full postcode.

For example, if I had a post code of BS49 4ER then I could use the wildcard to refer to only BS49 by entering something like BS49 ZZZ

Does anyone know what that "ZZZ" should be?

Reply to
Astrax

ladies and gentlemen .... do we have the first question NOT answered on uk.d-i-y

Been lurking a while and quite impressed on the answers given to EVERY question ( 'XP start button' and 'Home-made gasket for 2-stroke motor' being personal favs ! )

I know its posted to the wrong group but I know there someone out there dying to answer this one :)

Reply to
simonsmith.uk

Not really. Officially you just drop short. You can reliably refer to an areas (getting progressive smaller) as, for example:

RG RG1 RG1 1 RG1 1AA

These should all indicate continguous areas. I don't believe you can split the final two letters, though, although I may be mistaken.

If you are trying to fake up a full postcode having only part, add 'AA' or '1AA' as appropriate. This is often the postcode for the main post office facility in that area, but it isn't guaranteed to work.

A quick test for my local postcode area RG6 (RG6 1AA) does work and seems to point to their East Reading Delivery Centre. RG1 1AA gets their main Reading depot. However, RG3 1AA is invalid, so it is luck of the draw!

If you are doing this to get Acorn profiles off UpMyStreet or for reception predictors, etc, then my experience is that they go down to the very last digit, so you should use something like the Royal Mail postcode finder to get an exact match for the street in question.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try "1AA" as this is generally the postcode for the Royal Mail Delivery offices. Although not ever postcode sector would have a "1AA", I would say that at least 80% have!

HTH's.

Reply to
Neil Monk

Sadly, many web pages will insist on the full postcode rather than just the first part.

1AA may be a good fake although it doesn't work on sites like the LIDL one where you search for Specials inyour area.

I think there is an "official" second part which makes for a valid full post code but which refers only to a general area.

This page seems to suggest an old wildcard might have been "0AA" in the second half:

Kerrank

The numeric part of the post code is one of the security checks on credit card payments for internet purchases. An incomplete or wrong code will flag the transaction as potentially fraudulent. If the card is being processed manually, the operator may have the option to accept the payment despite that. Depending on the rules being applied, automated third party card handling systems may reject it.

Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you don't know your own postcode :-} try finding yourself on multimap

- click on where you live to centralise the location properly

below the map, and it will give you XY co-ordinates - make a note of them

Then go to...

enter the co-ords seperated by a "," and tick the radio button for OS Grid below - hit the "convert" button, and it will return a page of info which also includes the nearest postcode :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Running a query against a Postcode look up file used for House Insurance gave the following 25 incoming parts:

3DB, 3DA, 4DA, 3AH, 9HA, 9EA, 4EA, 3EH, 4HH, 3LD, 3EL, 3HA, 2LA, 3LA, 3EN, 3AS, 2HA, 3HT, 3EE, 3LL, 3AP, 8DA, 8BA, 3HN and 4HA

There are in descending order of frequency and range from 659 for 3DB down to 635 occurrences of 4HA (This is out of valid household 1,437,144 postcodes that have exactly 4,000 different incomings)

Hope this is of some help.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

AFAIK there is no universally acceptable wildcard (and I don't think web sites even all use exactly the same version of the same database for their postcode lookup). Even the trusty XX1 1AA doesn't work (used to live in Southampton where they changed all the postcodes few years ago and these now start at SO14). And in many sub districts XXn nAA doesn't work because over the years they've had to split areas up. The Royal Mail website has a free (with registration) lookup (think it's up to 10 per day) and

gives you 5 searches per day with free registration. But I guess you need a postcode to register ;-)

Reply to
David Neale

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:22:41 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "David Neale" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If I want to know a postcode to begin a search, for instance, I'll look up a street in the Royal Mail's postcode finder such as, "High Street", "Church Street" or "School Lane", of which there are probably dozens in most large towns, and at least one in most villages. For instance, typing in Post Office, High Street, Yatton gives a postcode of BS49 4EQ.

You can do a reverse lookup on that site too; if you have a postcode, it will give you its street name.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

"nightjar

And postodes are semi-secret! If that is the expression. Royal Mail have copyrighted their postcodes so they can sell this information to users. However, you are allowed to look up postcodes on their web site at a maximum of 12 postcodes within 24 hours, and you have to register at their site.

I find such restrictions rather odd, given that postcodes helps the correct delivery and their past advertising of "always use postcode". But postcodes aren't always checked by Royal Mail, I've had misdeliveries with the same road name but obviously in a different area and different postcode to mine!

Reply to
Johannes

Think yourself lucky - we regularly get post for a different business, with different postcode and sorting office.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Try this

PeTe33

Or you can use

10 searches a day through about 18 countries (including the UK).

Tip: You don't need to fill in all the fields prompted.

Reply to
David R

That's nice!

Reply to
Jon D

Johannes wrote: [snip]>

[snip]

Your local post office should have a book of post codes for you to examine. In our post office in London it was tied to the counter with a bit of string! Our village post office staff keep it under the counter.

rgds Alex.

Reply to
atmbelg

You can't copyright postcodes, just as you can't copyright any other facts. You can, however, copyright the way they are presented. Thus, the BT phone book can be copyright but anyone can produce a phone directory so long as they do not infringe the copyright in the way the information is presented.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq