Post codes

They usually leave gaps in the numbers where there's gaps in the houses. Our neighbour is 29; we are 43.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

get to the end of the street they cross over and come back up the other way.

That's quite common.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I used to live in Staffordshire. The post town was Buxton (Derbyshire), and the postcode was SK (Stockport, Cheshire). I had no house number that I was aware of. The council put up a road name but it wasn't the name everyone knew the road as.

You're right, what logic?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

When the infamous Poulson built some flats in Doncaster the flats were numbered by the number of paces each door was from the stairs. It was very odd. The numbers on Level B would go something like B12, B21, B30, B44, B53, B62, etc. The flats were later renumbered.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Here they go from 59 to 67, just in casr the "Permanent Way" ain't.

Reply to
PeterC

Mate' house in France is like that but, using Google Earth, the name of the house and country shows the house immediately.

Reply to
PeterC

Technically all you need is

house name/number postcode

But it's nice to have the rest - especially if the postcode is wrong or misread...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's is stupid.

The number of times there's a road a mile long and you are trying to find and no other bugger has a number on shopw to even give you a hint of which way X might be.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Who can forget? It must be burned onto our retinas after following the helpful links you gave in a much earlier posting. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

The logic is that the Royal Mail don't organize their deliveries based on counties - they just deliver letters to you from the most convenient town where they have a distribution centre. They want the address to indicate which of these towns they should send the letter too first. The preferred indication is the postcode, but otherwise writing the name of the town on the address will do.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Houses built round the corner here. One spare number, four houses. So they are 9,9A,9B,9C.

Same down another road nearby. Big house demolished, block of terraced houses replaced it. A,B,C again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As I recall, the point of post codes was to avoid the problems of not having street names and/or numbers. By creating a fairly small area for each post code (nominally based upon receiving 20 letters per day per code) the letters would end up in the bag of a postie who knew where to find the property, whatever identification it used.

Common practice, if there is only one house, is to add a suffix letter to the number of the lower numbered next door house. However, that is not always the case. A house I used to own was No 18. Next door was a row of cottages, numbered 1A, 2A and 3A, all of which were a long way away from No 4, the first numbered house on that side of the street.

The cottages were probably late Victorian and had been numbered that way when built. They were re-numbered 19-21 about a decade ago, there being no properties with a prior claim to those numbers.

These days, they would probably have called the block cottages and numbered them 1-3 cottages

Reply to
Nightjar

On 02/10/2014 12:44, Tim Watts wrote: ...

Something that was made a lot more difficult a few years ago, by a change to the planning laws. At the time I got a lot of letters from builders anxious to buy half my garden before the change came into effect.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 02/10/2014 12:03, Mike Barnes wrote: ...

I had that in France and found it quite confusing.

Reply to
Nightjar

They still manage it around here - but it does to and fro *a lot* to Planning before it's given permission.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This.

Reply to
Huge

This what?

Reply to
Tim Streater

...would be a very good idea.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's done in North America. The nice thing is that on a long road, you can predict which bit of it you are going to have to go to in order to find a particular address.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not necessarily, since ours is distributed from the post town 20 miles away rather than the post town five miles away.

Reply to
Adrian