( Possy OT) :Additional TV Speakers

I've never been particularly happpy with the sound from my TV so routed the sound via my Hi-Fi speakers by plugging in phono leads from the back of the TV to the amp aux connection and turning down the sound on the TV remote to zero . If I want to mute the sound I need to use the Hi-Fi remote . As I wanted to move the Hi-Fi elsewhere I recently tried another way by plugging in a couple of mains powered computer speakers instead but that has the disadvantage that other than switching the TV to standby or getting up and turning these speakers off I can't mute the sound .

Ideally I would want a pair of speakers that I could plug in to the TV ( similar to the computer speakers) but that could be controlled remotely ...is that possible ...you would have thought that the TV Man'frs would have designed the set so that using the TV Mute on the remote would also have muted the sound going to the additional speakers plugged in to the connections at the back .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Yes, but the two different uses of the TV mute are mutually exclusive. When playing via your hifi, you want to mute just the TV speakers and leave the line output on the back unaffected; when playing via the computer speakers which have no remote-control for the volume, you want TV mute to mute the line output as well. You can't have both!

Computer speakers with remote control would be useful to have, though!

Reply to
Mortimer

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:09:18 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote the following to uk.media.tv.misc:

Couldn't you just use the headphone socket?

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Its easily done, you just need to supply the PC speakers from the internal speaker connections. Warning to anyone and everyone: this is dangerous to do with many TVs, but if yours has external phono sockets then its fine, it wont be live chassis.

If you've got a headphone socket on the set you can just use that. If not you need to add a 3.5mm stereo socket connected to the internal speakers, and you need to get the polarities right. Socket ground goes to - on one speaker, and the other 2 + spkr connections go to one socket pin each. Note that + or - m,arking on the speakers dont mean anything int his case, you need to follow thw wire already connected to them to see which side is chassis (-) and which comes from the output chip or transistors (+). Also note these + and - designations have nothing to do with polarity.

Final safety note, there are several safety problems inside TVs, and letting them sit unplugged for a week does not solve them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yeah...I did think of that as it gives better sound but then you have the problem of not hearing the door bell or the phone ..which could ,of course,be a blessing !!!

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

True - and they've got worse recently with the fashion of flat screens so nowhere to put decent speakers.

This is usual as the line output might be feeding a recorder and you wouldn't want to mute that.

It would if you had and used extension *speaker* outputs on the set in use rather than line outputs. Although I suppose makers could easily give you the choice in software. Not sure if any do, though.

Vellerman used to do an infra red remote volume and mute kit once - from Maplin. Dunno if they still do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I suspect that the suggestion was to use the TV's headphone socket by plugging a lead from that to your amplifier. That way the sound comes out of the amp's speakers and the jack in the headphone socket will, in most cases, kill the TV's speakers.

Reply to
PeterMcC

Yep, and (on my telly at least) the headphone output responds to the mute button on the remote, too, which was one of the other requirements...

Reply to
Calum

Thx for all the help guys ..Got it sorted . A lead from the headphone socket on the telly( On the front unfortunately) to the computer speakers OR to the aux connection on the hi-fi both work ,cutting out the telly speakers but still can be muted by the TV remote .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I took the audio feed from the back of the freeview box (which had separate phono sockets for audio out). The TV remote is now only used for turning the TV on/standby - which is hardly at all, as if I'm not watching it I usually turn it off properly - and the freeview box remote is used for changing channels.

The point of this is: the freeview box remote has a mute button. The telly is permanently set at minimum volume.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You can also get audio from a Peritel ("SCART") connector.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Excellent - enjoy.