Possibly OT computer replacement

yes that's the sort of way I'd go about it, depending on how old the old PC is. But I;m a Mac person so what I;d do would be to connect the two computers together using an ethernet lead to a hub then go to migration assistant and use that, which will transfer all users files over and network setting etc .. and anything and everything else unless you choose otherwise.

But sometimes it's nice to start completely afresh with a new computer. With this method I would recover the old files off teh old computer when I needed them or noticed they were missing,a s sometimes you don;t reslly nee d all the old installs of flash and others, just get the lastest. Paid for software might be more risky though so be aware of serial numbers you might have lost track of and the like over the years.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You're going to selectively copy software from one PC to another?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I would but as I use Macs I'm not sure what your comment actually means. It's especailly useful if yuo have old software which wonlt run on your new computers OS or hardware.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I know nothing about Macs. But most programmes require you to install them. Not just copy from one PC HD to another.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many do, many don't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Surely with a brand new PC and therefore likely a different version of your OS too, you'd want the most up to date copy of the simple (and likely free) stuff that doesn't need an installer? So just download it again?

Trying to think of any paid for programme I have here you can copy willy nilly. Sounds like a recipe for going out of business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes yes. Often not.

You use payware, other than the very occasional app that really doesn't exist free? It would explain your ideas on this.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That explains a lot.

Which is why on the Mac yuo use migration assistant which can copy all the relivant files over to your new HD. if on the otherhand you have a lot of crap installed perhaps programs or utilities you haven't used for years then why copy all that crap over ?. It's a choice most computer users should make. For most it would be an intlegent choice as to which is the best option. I';ve seen PCs users takes days even a week to sort a new system out.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm not that's why I saod I use Macs.

Migration assistant on the Mac. On a PC I would even attempt such a stupid thing. Most people update PCs when they no longer work properly they usualy buy a new PC with a new OS on it, you shouldn't try to copy the OS from one PC to another. if I was a PC user I'd use a USB stick to transfer files over it would take time of course and quite a bit of time. It';s unlikely that programs could be just transfered say from an XP PC to a windows10 PC and work.

Any paid for software I did have I;d serch for the serial numbers or other install codes so I could have them to hand if needed. Something I've not yet had to do on a Mac.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often not.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Paid for software is copy protected.

It does deep and nasty things to recondite bits of the file and operating systems.

Fortunately virtual machines do not. I have copied my XP virtual machine several times.

Along with all its 'paid for' software.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a pile of useful apps in one shot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a fresh installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new machine. Far less likelihood of having problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, I went linux several years ago.

It depends.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the OS, like Windows?

If I were changing to a new PC but keeping the same OS, I'd just clone the HD. But if not, I'd likely find many of my paid for apps would need updating anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, everything for general use is preinstalled. It's a great way to avoid badly behaving apps.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't have any 'badly behaved' apps on Windows.

And I certainly don't believe linux is perfect. No matter how many on here think it is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are a fair number of simple portable utilities that can be freely copied between machines and will work OK from a USB stick without being installed (eg CPUZ) but these days almost everything serious wants to be installed and will react badly if it doesn't find the right keys in the registry to indicate that you have actually paid for it.

One really annoying thing when migrating from an old machine and wanting to retain access to a particular version of Office for testing purposes is that you must know the digital signature keys from the original packaging. Not being able to find that can be very annoying.

Fortunately one or two programmes exist to recover keys for installed payware so that you can move them to another PC when the old one is retired or expires. Some are tetchy about video or ethernet card upgrades and mistakenly believe that they are not on the original PC.

Recoverkeys has worked very well for me in the past when migrating on Windows machines where original packaging has been lost. YMMV

Reply to
Martin Brown