Possibly OT: Car Stereo

I have got access to my dad's 1995 Vauxall Corsa Merrit. Someone has badly (IMO) rhetro fitted a Pioneer KE-5320 (may have been a 5230). I am going to replace the head unit with a CD one but I have come accross a snag; Looking behind the radio the DIN connector has been cut up to wire the radio, thats fine - hopefully I can just figure out the wiring and solder it all back together...

The problem is I can't get the existing head-unit out! I cannot for the life of me work out how it is secured. The front doesnt seem to removable and I can't find any screw holes. The only thing I can see are some slits about 3mm by 10mm on each corner... Probing and proding with and screwdriver (trying to prise them outwards etc) hasn't helped.

I can't find a service manual, it's too old -- If anyone knows anything about these old head units I'd be greatful if you could help me out.

P.S. The front looks a little like this (use a fixed-width font)

======================================================= | ----------- ----------------------- | |[] | DISPLAY | | TAPE | [] []| | ----------- ----------------------- | | | | | |[] BUTTONS AND STUFF HERE []| | | =======================================================

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Aaron

The slots you see on the front are for a "U" shaped key. You can make two from stiff copper wire bent to shape. Press them in the holes and the release tabs will be pushed back to remove the radio. The wire has to be stiff enough and strong enough, and, most importantly, also straight enough.

Reply to
BigWallop

Ahh I see, I thought this was for vauxhall fitted radios only (reading the Haynes manual). OK I'll give that a go, if anyone has any other ideas/comments that could be useful please post them.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Aaron

You need a pair of DIN radio removal tools. Halfords or any accessory shop. Shouldn't be more than a quid or so - they're just U shaped bits of steel wire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - it was a DIN standard that most makers used at one time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What you described does sound like the "U" shaped bit of metal that BW said, old fashioned coathanger wire will do nicely :) Otherwise Halfords do one - at an exorbitant price - if you can't make one.

There is another design that uses a flat metal "key", but that's more of a "slot" than a "hole". IYSWIM :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Just be aware that not all DIN connectors are wired the same and sometimes the wire colours are not logical.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

I would consider 3mm by 10mm more of a slot than a hole.

If it is the first choice of the U shaped bit of metal then 4 split pins will work nicely. I suspect that it is the flat metal key that is needed. I managed to get a stereo out using a chopped up mobile phone topup card to make the keys for a friend not too long ago. I cut the card into two strips that fitted the slots inserted them and pulled the unit out.

It would have been easier to have just left the car parked outside my house overnight as someone seems quite good at removing car stereo units during the night around here.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Right then all sorted, hamered some U-shaped wire in and it did eventually release. After lots of fixing of the bodged up wiring (the radio came on with the headlights o_O) and faffing about with the new radio's din rail it's all sorted and working beautifully

Thanks for all your help people.

Reply to
Aaron