Poss OT. Recommendation for smallish pocket torch/flashlight ?

Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before.

I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably powered by a couple of AA cells. I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Many thanks

Em.

Reply to
Em

| Hope this isn't too OT, I think I saw this discussed here once before. | | I'm looking for a smallish torch to fit in a pocket or handbag, presumably | powered by a couple of AA cells. | I have heard that some LED torches are pretty good. | Any recommendations or thoughts?

Love our three LED torches, which I have had since they cost the earth, they have four LEDs each and run on three AA rechargeable's They are great for reading in bed, wandering around the house at night etc. They do *not* provide a good beam, for that I have a focusable Maglight 4D.

My other one is a Lidl head torch three LEDs running on three AAAs for crawling around under the house it is great. If you want one you will have to wait till they come on offer again. I will be getting another two one for the house, one for the car and one for the caravan. It runs on alkalines, because they have a longer shelf life.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Depends on what you want to use it for Em?

If you want something 'hands free' that gives a bright local and long lasting light then the Petzl's Zipka ( or Zipka plus) take some beating (IMHO)

About the size of a chikens egg, run for ages on 3 AAA's and with a recoiling 'band' can be worn as a head-lamp or strapped round anything handy to point the light in the right direction.

Worn on the head they light the ground sufficiently when walking to save you walking down a hole etc but they don't have a real 'beam' as such.

Not 'cheap' but we wouldn't be without them when camping etc .. ;-)

the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

"Em" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Yes, try one you'll like it.

I got some useful keyring lights from Quick and Dirty, and a 2LED 3cell headlight form Maplin which has changed my life.

It's true they don't do a good beam, but OTOH, my headlight provides a good beam to see the ground clearly 3-6 feet ahead in pitch darkness.

I don't know what it would do to your hairdo, though

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"Em" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Yep - I have got a small (1 AA cell only) ARC torch. Unfortunately - the makers went bust as I was buying it, so they are no longer available. Unlike many of the cheaper lamps, it has some circuitry that maintains voltage (and hence brightness) as long as possible. When the cell has discharged it switches to a very much less bright mode. The battery life of some LED torches sounds amazing but by the time they have been used for a fraction of that time they are so dim as not to be very useful.

At the same time, I bought a tiny LED keyring lamp (Inova Microlight Solid White LED) for partner - and that is permanently in her handbag. Surprisingly bright and usable. Plenty for unlocking the back door!

Both obtained from who have many LED and other torches at what seemed competitive prices.

Many LED torches run on CR123 Lithium cells. That's fine but it is much less likely for you to find one at a local garage or Spar shop than good old AA cells. If getting such a torch, make sure that you a) locate CR123s at a decent price and b) keep a spare available.

If you want enough info. to keep you going until Christams, try here:

Reply to
Rod

Rod wrote in news:Xns96D0DDDBAFB0Dhjhjaskhkdhkdhdhdh@130.133.1.4:

Seems I spoke too soon! Reincarnation:

The site does have some potentially usegul information for anyone considering an LED torch. My AA model, which is still not available, is excellent. Though they are all expensive. I have not attempted to locate a UK supplier - there may well be none.

Reply to
Rod

If you want a small torch with a staggeringly bright beam that can illuminate a very broad area at once and with good battery life, then buy a Luxeon (luxeon is the important bit, it is the dogs bits in brightness) 3 watt LED torch off ebay , they usually come from china with a very low price and a highish shipping charge, mine was a bout 10 pounds all in, it is undoubtedly the best torch I have ever had, and I am a torch junky!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The petzl range are v. good. Compact size, bright and the batteries last for ages. The beam is quite wide, which I find better than the spotlight often produced by the maglite type of torch. You can get them in most camping shops, not cheap though.

Reply to
John Blessing

That's right now - I bought one yesterday, a 3-LED bright white light with batteries supplied, and an elastic cradle to fit it to a helmet (or head) - for £3.99.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

torches are great. Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > a Lidl head torch three LEDs running on three AAAs [ ... ] If you | > wantone you will have to wait till they come on offer again. | | That's right now - I bought one yesterday, a 3-LED bright white | light with batteries supplied, and an elastic cradle to fit it | to a helmet (or head) - for £3.99.

They were at our Lidl last week, but have now gone :-( Lidl swap last weeks/months offers between stores.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

ben

Not exactly small, although it's comfortable in my pocket, is a "Gelert 3-in-1 Miniature Hanytorch". It runs on four AAA batteries and has a flattened oval cross section.

Very crude ASCII art follows.

End view

Focussable bulb \/ LED > |-|----|-| < LED | | | | |--------| Switch (| | |\ | | | | | | | Tube | | | Light | | | | | | | | | |/ | | ____| |---|----| Battery cover

There is one LED in each of the cresent moon shapes. The bulb is a tiny thing, like a Maglight Solitair bulb, and the tube is some kind of flourescent arrangement. You can see the circuitry through the case as it's transparent. They claim one set of batteries will provide 30 hours use on the LED's, 3 on the bulb and 4 using the tube.

The LEDs are good and white, the bulb is powerful enough for fairly serious use, but the tube is a bit weak and bluish in colour.

The biggest drawback is that there's only one switch which cycles between the different lighting systems.

Laurence

Reply to
Laurence