Positioning thermostat bulb on HW tank

Got a CH/HW system that is donkeys years old. Works OK, but the insulation around the water tank has always been crap - totally shredded red fiberglass+plastic jacket thing. So I pulled the jacket off to try to gain access to put some half-way effective insulation onto it. That's work in progress, but when I was removing the old jacket, a "bulb" from a thermostatic valve came twanging off the cylinder, and I'm not at all sure where to reposition it while I'm putting on the next section of insulation. The bulb connects to a thermostat valve, and I guess that when the valve closes, hot water from the back boiler is deflected up a pipe and back into an open header tank, past a bi-metal electrical thermostat, that I guess turns off the gas. Question is, should I re-attach the thermostat bulb at the top of the heated tank, or at the bottom, or at the mid-height of the heat-exchanger coil?

(My guess is, about half-way up the coil. But I could half-convince myself that it should be right at the bottom of the tank.)

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Roughly one-third to half way up the cylinder should be fine:

Caustic

Convention has it one third of the way up. Or perhaps that should be convection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you want get fancy then get second thermostat - bit of fiddly wiring etc - but then you could place one 1/3 from the top - and used during the day - set at a temp when you only need a little h/w for hand washing etc and the other nearer the bottom which you can use when baths etc are needed

Would require some extra time clock contacts etc - but worth a thought

In the days of green house gases this could save tones of CO2

Reply to
aislinghouse

The bottom of the tank cools quicker because that is where the cold water enters, so siting the thermostat bulb low down near the bottom would make it just that much more sensitive to temperature drops cause by hot water usage.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Caustic, Dave and Michael, Unanimity ? In uk.d.i.y ?? I'm shocked. And I'm scared that you're in agreement with me too. Scary. Thanks. Half-way up the coil/ 1/3 way up the tank. The thing is

100mm long, so it's not going to be too precise.
Reply to
Aidan Karley

It's on the instructions you get with a new one.

Of course dribble didn't reply. His answer would have been to replace it with twin combis. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No need for a new one as yet, and since the original is going to be an absolute bastard to get at without removing the tank, it's not going to get replaced without damned good reason. All I'm doing at the moment is re-insulating the tank.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

I just meant that's why the unanimity - everyone must remember the instructions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)