Positioning of Kitchen Wall Units

Can someone recommend what height wall units should be placed above the work surface.

I am not fitting a larder unit but will be fitting a tambour unit on top of a base but that is likely to go right to the ceiling.

The kitchen I have removed had 900mm wall units which nearly went to the top of the ceiling, the remaining gap had been filled with a filler panel.

The new units are the standard 720mm, they will have a 35mm cornice and

35mm pelmet fitted, the current height from the worksurface is 1440mm but this is 30mm worktop to be replace by 40mm.

I have seen some people on the site give figures of 430 upwards to 600, the latter is a total no go in a house that does not have high ceilings.

What would look best for this kitchen, taking into consideration the height of the ceiling and the addition of cornice and pelmet,it's not the biggest kitchen at around 13 x 10

Also is it best to get the tiling done before adding the cornice/pelmet or best to fit these and get the tiler to work around them

I was also concerned about the height with regards to the units near the gas burner, some hob fitting instructions state any units either side must be say 430mm for example but some instructions dont state anything as such, I phone Corgi on the matter and eventually a guy said in that case Corgi guidlines would be 460mm but to be honest he didnt sound that sure of himself and took an age to answer.

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
Gogs

According to MFI 500mm. If you have any larder/tower units, or tall wall units (that go down to the surface), then this is determined for you. However, given this standard height, it shouldn't look odd and it provides space to work in, but a low enough undersurface to conceal lighting.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Low enough that SWMBO can reach at least the bottom shelf without needing steps ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thats about as useful as a chocolate fireguard

Reply to
Gogs

It was a very useful guide to me, otherwise I would have got it in the neck and had to take them down and start again.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well thats beside the point, I could put them extremely low so that someone 4ft nothing could reach until they go on fire that is or not be the case when the Corgi man wont hook the burner back up

Reply to
Gogs

What is?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No it isn't. It was a well meant suggestion. If you put the wall cupboards too high then you'll be forever having to stretch to get things out and/or will not be able to see what's at the back of the top shelf.

Now you're taking it to extremes. Different rules obviously apply above a hob, if that's what you are concerned about (sorry, but your post doesn't make much sense). In that case, the installation instructions for the hob will specify the minimum clearance which I would expect to preclude the fitting of a normal wall unit.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Hardly extremes, they give guidlines for a reason, Corgi man never made much sense and never helped much and I kinda get that you need to reach in the unit.

Doesnt make sense, let me simplify....current height from worksurface to ceiling 1440mm, the current worktop is 30mm, new worktop will be

40mm so lets say I have 1430.. of wall to play with if you like.

Also I know about different rules for hobs etc, thing is some give a specific figure....say 420mm, some higher and some dont specify, thats where I have been led to believe you need to follow the Corgi guidelines, which the guy who has probably never fitted a kitchen in his life told me and said it was 460mm he thinks!

My hob instructions doesn't actually specify a height, so on that point, any switched on Corgi fitters might be able to answer.

On the other hand with the ceiling not being that high, I dont want to put them too high as imagine it might look a bit silly, any opinions on this.

Reply to
Gogs

Course its beside the point, having to stretch and not being able to see stuff at the TOP shelf might be an issue...but you never said that, you were talking BOTTOM shelf without steps, come on now, its not a kitchen designed for 5yr olds.

The old units were 900 high and nearly went right to the ceiling, so in the case my concerns are not about reach, this was included in original post, it maybe wasn't crystal clear but you could take so much out of it.

Reply to
Gogs

Roughly 500mm. Make it so tiles - if you're going to tile - are an exact fit. A few mm either way won't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The approximate "standard" is:

900mm base unit 500mm between base and wall unit (including worktop) 720mm wall unit

Fine adjustments are done to exactly match any larder/tall surface standing units.

Total height is 2120mm. (or 1220mm from the bottom of the worksurface). No problem fitting them in, although the cornice, if applicable, will be close to the ceiling.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

About 4:30, although it might be later, or earlier.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

18" is a popular worktop/wall unit distance because it's exactly 3 x 6" tiles. MFI are a bloody nuisance because, with tall units, you're left with something like 19", meaning either a silly looking 1" tile at the top, or having to cut the whole bottom line of tiles to balance things up. Similarly, it's handy if you can position plug sockets so that the first tile slips neatly under the bottom edge of the socket
Reply to
Stuart Noble

450mm from worktop to lowest shelf. Cornice probably best going on after tiling. Dunno about the gas hob, there are regs about the proximity of combustible material, I think I've seen it mentioned on this group, try uk.d-i-y on Google Groups and search the archives.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

What is? If you mean posting with no context, I would be inclined to agree.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Try to be a bit more graceful when offered free advice, eh?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes I placed my cupboards so that I did not have to cut any of the 10cm square tiles, that I used between the worktop and the bottom of the cupboard. The height is about 50cm.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Read a little deeper, dont you think my first post might suggest I understand that you must be able to reach into the unit?

Free advice of not needing steps for the first shelve? Come on pull the other one and ask yourself who is being graceful?

I was asking more about the look and legalities now that its 720 units with regards to positioning and what others had done

The old units were 900 high and nearly touched the ceiling as mentioned...so hardly going to put 720's up that high.

I was only looking for some USEFUL advice, hints or tips with regards to my post and thanks to those who contributed!

Reply to
Gogs

Learn how to write and post, then you may get more relevant useful advice.

Reply to
Chris Bacon