position of humidistat

In a small bathroom, as you go in bath / shower on left, sink straight ahead with window over, toilet on right. The fan extracts from the middle of the ceiling. Where is the best place to put the xpelair XRH humidistat ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

IME it does not matter much - the humidity in the whole room rises fairly uniformly and fairly quickly.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , sm_jamieson writes

In our old bathroom, small, shower on right as you going in, window on right past that with WC under. Bath straight ahead on the left, handbasin in the middle of far wall.

I mounted the humidistat on the wall above the door.

I don't remember why, might have just been because that was easy for wiring. (New bit of stud wall above the door). It all seemed to work fine. (The humidstat worked well at controlling the fan on the whole. Occasionally it would come on if it had been raining heavily for sometime. Otherwise once I'd tweaked it to the right setting it was fine.

I suspect it doesn't matter really.

Reply to
Chris French

Presumably most of the moisture will start off warm from a shower / bath etc so will rise to ceiling level. However as it cools it will descend to floor level (much 'rising damp' in old buildings is attributable to cold moist air sitting at floor level)

So if your extractor is powerful enough to remove the moisture whilst it is still warm, put it and the humidistat at high level. However is it is wimpy like most of them, then low level would be a better place for both

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I think that, if anything, water vapour should rise as water is a smaller and lighter molecule than the other main constituants of air.

Reply to
Caecilius

When my bathroom is cold, my observation is all the tiles get condensation when a bath is run - doesn;t seem to pick just the highest or lowest.

Reply to
Tim Watts