Posit: Electricity now cheaper than home heating oil

Works for the commuting wage slaves but not for many other workers. I consider "my patch" to be anywhere from the M8 down to the M62. So even if it is argued I "should live nearer work", where is nearer work? Where I am is pretty central to that patch...

Yes, this is something the government ought to really get to grips with. They have been doing a little bit there a little bit here for years, the odd free CFL, HW tank jackets, loft insulation but normally with strings attached like being on certain benefits or being elderly.

They ought to making sure that *all* the housing stock has decent wall and loft insulation and draft proof windows/doors.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

50 litres? Who the hell has a tank that small? I'm already paying £75 to £90 for a fill depending on when I get to the service station.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Frankly its perfectly possible to hitch the motorway networks. I have done it.

IF people gave lits as they did in wartime, as a matter of duty and of course, then it would be a reliable way to get around very fast indeed.

They ought not to be making sure, but they could at lest make it less expensive.

Coercive government is a pain in the arse. Inducive government is much better.

Help people do the right thing: Not punish them for doing the wrong thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep..I think that is what we are looking at. £100 a tank, rather than the £5 it used to be 'when I were a lad'.

Hey, a I cynical in thinking that the governments sudden fondness for nuclear power has something to do with the fact that they stand to make about £30bn from their stake in British Energy when it gets sold..

EDF or EON?

There's a nice old power station site right where its needed, in Battersea..plenty of cooling water, and potential Olympic sized heated swimming pool could be built alongside..as well as heating half of south London via waste water..Good transport links via the Thames as well.

Hmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a tad over 10 gallons... 10 to 15 gallons is the tank size on most =

normal "family cars" isn't it?

My motor has 90l (a shade under 20 gallons) tank, good for about 600 mil= es full to "running on air".

My average fill up cost this year is =A378.46. Min =A360.00 Max =A395.00= .

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For all the protests from solar panel firms, I cannot help but think that the money paid out in grants might be better employed bringing public buildings up to scratch, especially those that are heated for extended periods (e.g. libraries)

Reply to
Tony Bryer