Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

That rings a bell. Can't be bothered going to check my socket set in the car.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I guarantee my Peugeot 405 diesel was not the same as every other car.

Note: it didn't used to be a diesel, so who knows what else was changed on it. But those wheels came from something.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The Japanese are a smaller race.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

When you say thread, are you talking newsgroup thread or screw thread?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Some are just "cosmetic" ie steel with a coating to make them look like brass. Take a magnet with you when buying.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

If that's the case, then why isn't pozidrive "brass" more common? If it's just the coating, then they certainly ARE strong enough.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've no idea as I am only giving my experience of buying what I thought were brass screws only to find that when the electric screw driver slipped it scratched the coating on the head exposing the steel underneath. Checking with a magnet showed they were just coated steel. They were strong enough and cosmetically OK so I wasn't really bothered.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Just used a few brass coloured pz2 screws myself that I forgot I had. Dunno how I managed to buy them since my latest Ebay search found none (brass pz2), and someone else's search in this thread turned up one (brass pozi). I think I wasn't looking for brass and just searched for pz2 of the correct length, then picked the ones of the right colour.

The screws I have are magnetic (so not brass), but the door hinges and door thresholds seem to be real brass. Having said that I just picked up an old scratched threshold which is not magnetic, but silver under the brass coloured coating. So aluminium?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In message , Alan Dawes writes

AOl!

Screwfix *brass pins* are magnetic.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Basically because if you want the brass look, you are more likely to want the look of a slotted head too.

Yes, but don't last as long rust wise as sold brass screws.

Reply to
jack

Or stainless. Should be obvious from how heavy it is.

Reply to
jack

Sue them!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've still got the wheel brace I bought 44 years ago. It cost me ?1 and has never bent out of shape.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

But then you keep the old ones, supposedly for "rough" jobs, but always use the good ones ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use the one I can find.

Reply to