Poser for chemists/physicists?!

That's the chappie. £1.99 I wrongly thought.... .

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Microscopic pixies.

When you click the clicker they all wake up and run around in a mad panic thus expending lots of energy.

When you heat the sachet up again they all get sleepy and drift off back to sleep.

It's true I tell you.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Got a couple from Aldi - £1.50 or thereabouts for a pair. Great fun

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Thanks for the replies.

Well, she's fascinated by this thing and has singlehandedly trebled our gas consumption since Xmas by continually boiling up the bloody thing.

Anyway - interestingly I note that when cold, the sachet has lots of small bubbles of varying sizes (down to the limits of my vision) but they don't seem to act as nuclei for crystals to form. We've duly tried dropping the thing on the floor and bopping it smartlye with a wooden spoon, but nothing seems to kick it off except the clicker!

David

Reply to
Lobster

They are stable bubbles

I bet it's cavitation that does it. "Bubbles" full of vacuum form as the wavefront passes through the material and then subsequently collapse releasing a bit of energy but in a tiny volume

= high energy density.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^