Poser for chemists/physicists?!

My daughter was given a 'handwarmer' for Christmas, comprising a plastic sachet about 3" square and filled with some form of gel. Also side is a small bit of bent metal; you bend the metal piece so it 'clicks' and bends in the opposite direction, which initiates a reaction causing the gel to solidify over a period of several minutes, giving out substantial heat. Later you bung the thing in a pan of boiling water for 20 mins to melt the solid back to a gel and reverse the reaction. Not exactly environmently friendly use of energy, but hey...

So she asked me how it worked.

"Er...."

I vaguely remember stuff from my schoolboy chemistry about seeding crystals and latent heats and so on, but I'm lost. Anybody care to explain it for her?!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

The bag contains a supersaturated solution of sodium acetate. When you click the metal clicker, the shock wave produced creates some bubbles, which act as centres for crystal formation. The sodium acetate crystalises out, releasing heat.

When you heat it up again, all the sodium acetate dissolves again (absorbing heat from the water), and the pack is now ready for reusing.

Reply to
Grunff

I /so/ want one of them :-)

where can I get one ?

tia

Reply to
.

Reply to
Grunff

The heat being released is what's termed "latent heat of crystallisation". When the molecules are in solution, they are in a highly disordered state, moving around freely. This movement is energy.

When the crystals form the molecules are constrained into an ordered state, a three dimensional pattern, in which their movement is greatly reduced. Hence the crystal has less energy than the molecules in solution. As the crystals form, this energy is released as heat.

To make the crystals dissolve you need to put in more energy than was lost during crystallisation, hence the boiling water. Once enough energy has been absorbed, the molecules are able to move around freely in the solution again.

The trick is to find a molecule that can be triggered to crystallise from a saturated solution and Grunff has explained how this is done.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for the explanation, Grunff!

Tia, I'm sure you'd like my daughter's even more... the sachet's bright red and heart-shaped....

David

Reply to
Lobster

thanks for that.

Reply to
.

Boots.

Reply to
Steve Firth

| . wrote: |=20 | > I /so/ want one of them :-) | >=20 | > where can I get one ? |=20 | =

Avon sells them as well, along with *many* other places.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

As you well know, it requires energy to be added to melt things. It even requires energy to melt the things, keeping them at the same temperature

- ie. it's not enough just to "warm them up", you have to put measurable energy in to cross that phase transformation.

As you ought to remember from school, energy doesn't vanish, it just either turns from one form to another or hangs around stored somewhere. Eventually it all degrades down to heat anyway.

So if it took energy to melt the magic goop, and that energy hasn't disappeared, the the logical (if perhaps surprising) conclusion is that you can obtain heat energy by making things freeze.

Second point - why the clicky disk?

The magic goop is chosen because it's a "supercooled" liquid. It's at a temperature where it's actually a more stable state to be solid than liquid, but provided you bring it down gently from a high temperature (the pan of boiling water) then it will remain liquid - if undisturbed. Kick off a mechanical disturbance in it though, such as dropping it, clicking the disk, stirring the panful of reheated packs, or (most importantly) growing frozen crystals through it, and you can cause it to transition from liquid to solid - releasing the heat as described above.

Magic goop here is "Glauber's salt" (Google or Wiki on this) which is sodium acetate. This is chosen as it's affordable, non toxic and has the right supercooled behaviour at the right sort of cold room temperature.

The same material is also used for garden-shed sized heat stores with larger domestic solar heat or heat pump projects.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Lunartique (the tiara shop) in St Nicks Market, central Bristol

shaped ones too)

In the Christmas run-up, or around Valentine's Day, it's our best seller!

You can usually find them at any outdoor market though - someone will be selling them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Or for the romantic:

John Rumm

Aldi 1.29 for two at present.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Think she likes it more for its pink colour than its shape any romantic connotations, which is fine by me...

David

Reply to
Lobster

really ? *marvellous* I'll pop in tomorrow and have a look.

Reply to
.

I got a couple from findmeagift.com, to replace the pair I've had about

20 years!
Reply to
Bob Eager

You would be better looking at Google for a site called "howstuffworks" - I'm sure you're daughter would have been able to tell you that!

Reply to
Brian

My local Texaco garage has them for a few quid if you fill up with fuel.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

2 for £1.99 at Aldi, I think - if not Aldi, then Lidl. These are selling right now. 55 deg. c for "up to an hour".
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Brian wrote

Ruggish!

Lobster would be better informed; I wouldn't have been - but I'll pass on the pink hearty one

Reply to
mike