Portable power - possible solutions...

Yes - that's certainly the 'de luxe' system.....

Hmm - good point....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I meant a switched mode boost voltage convertor that acts as a regulator - probably just what those in-car laptop supplies are. Saves faffing about with the extra 2v cell.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Parallel connection of lead acids can be done but isnt recommended practice. If you hook them up via V drops it makes life harder and more complex - the charger's wrong, the system doesnt give 12v any more etc. If for some reason you need to use 2 smaller batteries instead of 1 bigun why not use a changeover relay, when the first hits its minimum voltage it switches to battery 2.

SLAs have the advantage of spillproofness, but they can only be slow charged, they're less robust electrically, they cost more, and maintenance is pretty much impossible, giving them shorter life. If you put short horizontal 'legs' on the base of your leisure batt if would be a quite hard for it to fall over.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Me too!

An excellent piece of kit -- much better than I had expected for the price (which was much less than I could buy a 17Ah SLA for). The only grotty bit was the bundled charger, which would have all too easily wrecked the battery by overcharging if you didn't unplug it when charged (happened to a friend). I initially used a bench PSU to charge it, but more recently bought a very nice microprocessor controlled switched mode charger*. Mine has an integral compressor, which I use to keep the bicycle and car tyres pumped up.

*Aldi, a couple of months back, something like £12 IIRC. Unfortunately, they don't have them anymore, and that model seems to be nearer £50 from anywhere else, which is a lot more than I paid for the jump-starter.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel