Porridge In Expansion Tank

Hi Folks,

I had occasion to be poking around in my loft recently and noticed that my CH expansion tank has acquired a thick layer of porridge on the surface of the water, I suspect this might be related to when I drained the system and added inhibitor in November but should I be alarmed by this? Do I need to drain down and clean it out or can I add something to the water that will clear it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Endulini

I don't know what it is, but once you've scooped it out if it's fungal or bacterial a teaspoon of copper sulphate should stop it recurring.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Endulini scribbled

Don't let it dry out and don't breathe it in.

Reply to
Jonno

I had that once when I couldn't be bothered (because it was cold up there) to tie the header tank jacket up properly. I assume that enough air can get in the gaps to sustain a small ecosystem. With the jacket securely fastened, it's been okay.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Does anyone still sell copper sulphate ?.

I think it is one of those chemicals that has been banned, in the same way that copper in brake pads is being phased out.

Reply to
Andrew

Chris Hogg

ebay, amazon