Porous Porcelain?

Whilst dealing with a leaky bath I noticed that the floorboards around the base of the WC pan are damp and soft - presumably rotting. This particular bathroom is rarely used, but not unheated so doesn't suffer, AFAIK, from condensation.

Question: can sanitary ware become porous? The WC pan may be original which would make it 56 years old.

Bath and WC are too far apart from bath leak to have reached the WC.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote: [snip]

[snip]

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound likely. The problem is much more likely to be a crack or a small leak in the coupling between the cistern/down-pipe that's allowing water to run down the outside of the pan at the back to the floor when the toilet is flushed.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

Unlikley BUT I had a similar situation...turned out to be a slow leak from the bog-cistern coupler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

============================== It's quite likely that there was no CH in your house for the first 30 years of its life - so plenty of time for condensation and consequent damage to the floor.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1002 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Not so. In time the loo will warm up to the ambient.

You only gate bad condensation on a loo in a warm steamy room just after its flushed, when cold water comes in to fill the cistern.

The Natural Philosopher

True

- so plenty of time for condensation and consequent damage to the

But I exposed the (dry) floorboards in that bathroom in 2000 when I removed the lino and black/white vinyl floor tiles. All was dry then

TA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's what I expected.

I have carried out a few trial flushes with a hand around all the joints without finding any leaks.

There _is_ line of bubbly paint on the underside of the cast iron pipe to the soil stack, but there is no corresponding damp where the pipe goes through the wall.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard