'Popping' sound from electrical socket

Oldish fittings usually pong of fish at that stage.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's melamine getting hot and you smell amines. Useful indicator of a fault approaching.

Reply to
PeterC

That reminds me of when I was in the kitchen and heard a fizzing noise. I turned round to see a bright bluish white light shining through the plastic of one of the above-counter mains sockets. I killed the power pretty damn quick and went to investigate. It turned out that one of my housemates cats had ?sprayed? onto the wall above the socket and it had run down behind the faceplate.

The smell was ? particular, but I wouldn?t say it was of fish in this case :-P

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Dismantled the socket this weekend. No loose screws or wires and no sign of blackening. No re-occurrence of the 'popping' either.

Odd

Reply to
PeterL