Pop Up Waste Lever Leak

Hi all

Just fitting new bathroom pottery and find that there is a leak where the pop up waste lever fits into the basin outlet.

The parts excluding vertical actuator rod: rod with fixed plastic ball two "cups" or ball seals a threaded cap a sliding toggle thingy for securing vertical actuator rod

To assemble I have: Fitted inner ball seal into the threaded housing to the rear of the sink waste - checked to make sure it is at the bottom of the housing on small shoulder. Pushed rod in so that platic ball rests on inner ball seal. Fitted outer ball seal and threaded cap. Tightened cap as far as posible without locking up the lever action.

Water is still passing the ball assembly somehow! Should it be necessary to seat the inner ball sea in silicone? If not, why should it leak?

Please don't suggest I take the sink/waste out, as I have final fitted and siliconed around the basin and actually managed to get a reasonably neat finish.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

You shouldn't need any further sealant there. I would disassemble and check for damaged parts. There's almost no water pressure at that point, so a noticable leak would imply some significant mismatch.

At worse, you should only need to remove the waste from the sink.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew

My reluctance to remove the waste is due to:

  1. The cramped access
  2. Knowing that I wound the waste up well tight to achieve the correct orientation of the lever connection.

I'll have another look at the lever housing tonight with a torch and mirror and make certain that I have identified the correct source of the leak before I start major dismantling.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster