Poor quality electricity supply, is it worth complaining to supplier?

And your evidence for that statement is what, given that just about every other country uses only ES bases...? I.e. a lamp marked 240 V with a B22 base must be made for the UK market (and Eire, perhaps).

An auto-transformer, or a 12V halogen lighting transformer wired as an auto-tranny is the obvious solution.

What is this obsession with lamp life anyway? GLS lamps are cheap; it's the electricity that costs. View over-running as a benefit - more lumens per watt :-)

Quite right too.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Don't forget, you need a bigger UPS! Do we really need to know that or are you just bragging?

He's probably still there holding the bits of wire together.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Can be if neighbours are switching on kit.

I used to get a broiwnout when the microwave oven came on...

If he is at te end of a long overhead 11KV line and the actual supply is flakey, then there is nothing he can do - but if his regualtion is poor, then the transformner is implicated.

Look Actually I live in an identical sitiuation. On the end of a long

11KV overhead. Most of which dates back to 1930 or earlier.

Having replaced the transformer, my voltage REGULATION is far far better.

That obviously does not fix problems due to trees falling on the lines, dodgy switchgear up poles, lightning strikes onto the lines and so on. BUT at least by spending a bit of my own money I have taken half a mile of overhead out of the link and put it underground.

Its not clear at all from the OP whether he has regulation problems or outages or both.

But one assumes at least enough knowledge that he can distinguish that outages are not fixsble by better termination equiuipment without your rude comments to inform him.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your advice to him to forget the o/h line and any possible problems attaching thereto and concentrate on just the transformer is misleading. How you want to try and dress up that misleading advise is up to you. The National Fault and Interruption Reporting Scheme (NaFIRS) doesn't support your assertion.[1]

[1] Hint, I spent many years in the industry.
Reply to
The Wanderer