Pondering a patio problem.

Another job I've landed. Outside the back door, a terrace, or "patio", is laid. This extends for about 7 450mm flags, and ends in a drop to a grassed area. If ASCII art will come out:

# # #==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== #:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::# #@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@# # #'''''''''''''''grass ^ ^ House retaining wall wall

The ==== are slabs. :: is the sand under. @@@ is a broken concrete slab, which was presumably built up on to save breaking it and disposing of it.

Anyway, the "retaining wall", 3 courses above ground, has crumbled. I have replaced the top courses by 1/2 batts on edge, and the level of the brickwork is now about 10mm below the bottom edge of the slabs. The slabs do not cover the top of the wall, which is an eyesore, although better than before.

Solutions:

a) Lay on rounded path edgings on their sides. b) Put on a capping. c) Slide two rows of slabs over 'till they cover the top of the wall. Cut some surplus second-hand slabs in the garden into 120mm strips, and fill the slot left in the patio by moving the slabs with these strips.

With a) & b) the cappings will loosten easily. With c) a line of cut slabs will cross the patio like the white line drawn at the edge of a railway station platform.

Any ideas as to the best thing to do?

Reply to
Jerry Built

I would just add another course of brick, but on end. You could use a blue brick to make a 'feature' of it. This might mean a trip hazard though which only you can decide if that is acceptable

Reply to
Space Cowboy