Pond pump trips RCD

Hi,

Try running the pump in a bucket of water that is well insulated from the ground, to see if the RCD doesn't trip off.

It could be that water is wicking down through the cable gland in the pump body, which could be easily fixable with some sealant after drying out the connections on the other side of the gland.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

replying to John Stumbles, Jon R wrote: As noted above, the coil in the motor is highly inductive, and when the pump is switched off, it generates a short high voltage spike,. The cable to the pump is probably long and submerged, so there is a fair capacitive coupling to ground (through the water). So, although there is no fault with the pump and wiring, there Is still a very brief capacitative pulse to ground. Try putting a surge suppressor in line where the wiring emerges from the pond to flatten the pulse.

Reply to
Jon R

very useful to get debatable advice 13 years after the event.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can't help wondering if the administrator of HOH puts up these very old posts just to generate a reply and annoy those here!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

replying to Jon R, JR wrote: I'd just thought I would add my little bit. I just bought a brand new pump and wired a plug to to it, plug it into the mains kitchen plug, and it trips my RCD every time I switch it off. It's new and the wiring is not underground. Awaiting an electrician.

Reply to
JR

98% likely it's either the pump or the RCD.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr