Polyurethene spray foam equipment

Does anyone know the price of equipment to spray polyurethane into loft spaces? I've had a few quotes and it seems very expensive considering the cost of the chemicals from the likes of BASF. The web sites I have looked at show a DIY set-up but this is not the best options as the chemicals really need to be sprayed at around 24-6 centigrade

Reply to
kd

Are you looking for the diy equivalent of "Rooflock" and others of a similar ilk? Because if you are considering that approach, my advice would be "don't go there". There are far better methods of insulating your loft which don't involve exposing the rafters to the risk of rotting; make any future roof maintenance difficult and is guaranteed to put off any potential future buyers.

Instead take a look at Celotex and Kingspan. Both are easier to work with, as effective (if not more so) and their application is less likely to lead to other long-term problems (as long as they're used correctly).

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Not enough, obviously, since firms are still doing it.

There are far too many problems caused by this treatment than it might cure. For a start, it removes ventilation from the roof timbers and will cause rot. And if you come to sell the house, a buyer's survey will likely recommend budgeting for *complete* roof replacement.

Fix the roof by conventional means, then insulate in the same way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you have any factual incidences to give, or are you making this up?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

1) I know a roofer who worked on a perfectly good roof, some years later after such treatment he had to rip all the timbers out and do a complete re-roof as it was all rotten. He said he was glad he had not taken the job on fixed price. 2) My nextdoor neighbor used to run a company who sold this PU treatment (usually in industrial situations for energy management I hasten to add). He did want it in his lovely Victorian terrace roof void though. Got out of that business and went into playground surfacing instead.
Reply to
AlexW

Correction:

Reply to
AlexW

If you actually took time to read the whole post you'd get your answer.

Nice to see you so rattled, BTW.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you are making it up.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

time to give the DrEvil drivel link... I cant find it tho

NT

Reply to
bigcat

If spray-in PU foam is installed properly there will be no problems at all. many, 1000s of them have been done. You also need a proper survey of the roof.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So you make things up as well.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Find a surveyor. Ask him what he'd say if surveying a property with this installed.

His answer will be it's covering up a faulty roof. It's the only reason to do it as conventional insulation is cheaper, more effective and better looking. A win win win situation, as you'd put it.

So put a cross through that advert in your book of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)