Polytunnel Zips replaced with Velcro or some fitting

We bought on of those Gardman plastic Greenhouse/polytunnels about a year ago.

Those familiar with them know that the entrance is two full height Zips, just like on a camping tent.

The Zip is broken and was never really strong enough to be up to repeated use.

Would anyone know of any kind of fastener i might replace the Zips with, hopefully keeping as much as the warmed air in as possible when they are closed.

I'm not inclined to, or skilful enough to sew in another zip and the only thing i can think of so far is about half a dozen adhesive backed Velcro strips place horizontally.

Grateful for any other suggestions..... thanks.

Reply to
john west

magnets maybe?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Take it to a Haberdashery?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I wouldn't recommend adhesive backed Velcro - the adhesive comes unstuck before the Velcro does. I bought some non-sticky velcro type tape which can be sewed down instead of stuck, from VST Fabrics Ltd. No doubt there are other suppliers.

Reply to
Dave W

You can get self adhesive velcro rolls, two of course, but I'd be a bit wary of the glue outdoors.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Magnetic rubber strip?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , john west writes

Zips seems a bit OTT for a polytunnel.

Last one we had here the entrance was two timber uprights with the polythene cover secured with staples.

The door was a strip of polythene secured at the top, slightly wider than the entrance and tacked to a series of battens. The battens were pierced at either end to take cords attached to the top and bottom of the doorway. A third cord fixed to the middle of the bottom batten passed through an eyelet at the door head could be used to adjust the opening to control ventilation.

Stagnant air is not good in a greenhouse.

Biggest problem is when the Sun heats the metal frame and destroys the plastic cover where it touches.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"Tim Lamb" wrote

Those Gardman plastic covers only last about two summers before they rot into a net like structure. Bought some of their large cloches to grow our chillies under, have to find a new cover material now although fleece works OK. Might try bubble wrap as I have a roll.

Reply to
Bob Hobden