Polystyrene glue

I have some broken clear polystyrene and in the past I've used Airfix or similar polystyrene glue. It's an effective solvent type glue.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get any. What should I use instead?

Reply to
Fred

Heh! you cant get any from a modellers shop?

Reply to
George

Not locally no. Humbrol and Airfix were their suppliers and I'm told both are in liquidation.

Reply to
Fred

Polycement from DIY sheds or the local plumbers merchent.

Reply to
George

The thing that model fliers are now using is a spray super glue. It comes as a 2 pack, one spray on and one looking like traditional super glue. For polystyrene it is the bees knees.

I use it for glueing the coving when fitting kitchens and as such get it from 'Howdens', trade only but talk to them nicely and they should sell you some. Althernatively for a few punds extra, you can buy it from ebay (just search for "mitre + glue) and click in the search titles and descriptions option.

Do use in a well ventilated area as this stuff is seriously good and uses serious solvents.

Good luck

Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums

Also sold in Wickes.....

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Model shops still carry it.

Also solvent weld for pipework, works

Actually acetone works on styrene I think..you can drop scrap plastic into it and make cement..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eh? No Model Shop near you? No Department Store with a toys department? Google Modelzone - gigantic chain, pushing out the little old shops, but a jolly good model shop - go with only enough money to buy your glue. Modelzone is really intended for boys -- those who were boys in the 50s to 70s, that is.

BTW Airfix/Humbrol are in trouble, but will re-emerge, it is thought. But they are only one of a dozen major global plastic model manufacturers, Revell being the biggest. [no charge for modelling propaganda.]

jhn

Reply to
jal

You've got the internet, so use Google. And it's polystyrene "cement". Any proper model shop will have some in either glue or liquid form.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Perhaps they were using too much solvent? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel