Polystyrene ceiling rose removed - how to get rid of gummy adhesive?

Hi everyone,

I've just removed a polystyrene ceiling rose (yuck!) from my lounge and want to get rid of the remaining adhesive residue without destroying the lining paper/plaster above. Please can you advise me on the best product to use for effective removal? Not sure what the adhesive was, whether it was something like No More Nails etc, but I've got a pic here if it helps.

Any ideas? I do plan to get a replacement rose - would one of those light acrylic roses be sacrilege? Or just a practical alternative to conventional plaster roses?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Chris

If you're going to replace it there is no need to remove whats there.

ps a plaster ceiling rose will only cost you £14 if that.

Reply to
George

It was probably a non solvent based contact, and as such nothing practical will really dissolve it.

Sand it all off skim and repaint, or cover with something else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

George

Thanks, I'll try and sand down what's there and replace the rose with something slightly larger. Thanks for the link too - I'd seen that site from previous posts and noted the roses there. Looks like the resin roses will be easier to handle than plaster, so I'll probably plump for those. It'll be a step up from polystyrene anyway! :P

Reply to
Chris