Polyester Resin Wall Plug

I need to use polyester resin filler for some holes I am making to support a louvre blind. Is it OK to use normal wood screws in such? Do you wait for the resin to go fully off or screw in whilst setting. Can you unscrew the screws later?

Reply to
Keith Trimble

I'd use the resin to glue some chunky wooden dowels in, then woodscrews into those.

If you mean "car body filler", you can almost drill and tap a machine screw thread into it - a woodscrew is likely to have difficulties.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can't fix anything into resin after it's cured. The usual method is to embed lengths of threaded rod, and then use a nut to fix after it's set hard. If that won't work for your purpose, then resin might not be right solution.

Reply to
Steve Walker

You could glue wallplugs or wood in and screw into those with wood or pb screws. Gluing threaded rod in would get you a lot more strength. But why resin?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Steve Walker writes

You certainly CAN screw into cured resin and body filler - but as it has little or no 'give', you've got to get the diameter of hole you drill just right. It's usually easier to embed a plastic Rawlplug - or after the resin's cured, drill a hole and fit a Rawlplug.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Just treat the cured filler as masonry. Toolstation's Profil is the cheapest if you only need a small amount. A bit gloopy for my liking but works well

Reply to
stuart noble

rubbish. If you drill a pilot, a self tapper or indeed a woodscrew has every chance of cutting a good thread into it.

Its similar to hard oak in that respect

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The small tube is handy as it comes with a doodah that lets you use it in a normal frame gun, rather than needing a dedicated gun, also be aware the resin does come with one nozzle.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You have to strike a balance between bursting the filler apart with the wedge action of the screw (old woodscrews in particular) versus the likelyhood of the screw not cutting a good thread.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I was thinking more of this. Use it for 101 other things too

Reply to
stuart noble

Absolute total wombat turds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its got quite a lot of give depending on how filled it is and with what.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

so just like wood,metal,plastic or anything else you put a screw in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Equivalent to a piece of oak I'm guessing 1cm diameter in a much softer substrate.

Good luck with that...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Never tried that.