Polycarbonate roofing and ventilation

Hi,

I am contemplating replacing the asbestos cement roofing on an outbuilding (well, old garage behind the newer garage) with polycarbonate sheeting.

The roof is south facing and gets the sun all the year round, so I plan to trap some in the winter and heat this area above the usual chilly temperature. I could even channel some heat into the newer garage, although at the moment it is a fine larder and wine store.

One issue - in the summer it is going to be an oven. So I would like to have an opening window in the roof, to allow the heat to escape during the summer days; much like a vent in a greenhouse, or one of the opening roof lights in loft conversions or single storey pitched roof extensions (or even conservatories).

So far I haven't found this kind of device in the polycarbonate sheeting range. Anyone know of such a thing, and where I might get it?

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Check this out:

Lawrence Zarb

for that. More or less what I was looking for.

Is it just me, or are the prices for this stuff a tad high? As far as I can see this is a plastic frame; you cut out a piece from your polycarbonate sheet, use it to glaze the window, and fit the frame back into the polycarbonate sheet.

All this for about £120.

Does it really cost this much to make?

All the polycarbonate sheeting seems expensive; is this a true reflection of the cost or is it being priced against glass?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Yup it sure is!

My Wickes off the shelf conservatory has exactly that, so they might sell them.

Polycarb does make our conservatory very hot in summer, I'd suggest blinds as well if you are going to spend much time in there.

Dave

Reply to
david lang