Polycarbonate roof & reflective film - worth the effort?

Hi,

I have a sort-of conservatory at the back of the house - basically a gap between two extensions which has been glassed in and with a polycarbonate roof put on. Perhaps I should call it an 'orangery' :)

Anyway, it suffers the usual conservatory problems of being too cold in winter and too hot in summer. I'm having a radiator installed which should hopefully help with the cold, but I have been looking at getting some of this adhesive silver reflective film to put on the inside of the polycarbonate roof, which I'm told may help with the overheating problem.

Although it's not a big roof, the stuff seems fairly expensive at about =A340 per sq m (the roof is about 5 sq m) - this from

uk

Does anyone have any opinions about how effective (if at all!) this stuff is likely to be? Is this price a rip-off?

I'd be grateful for any advice / opinions.

Thanks!

James

Reply to
gw0udm

Try greenhouse whiting paint, or bacofoil, or spaceblanket held up with stickystuff.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Blinds might be a better bet. Nice to have the sun in winter. Or this stuff maybe?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

it?

James

Reply to
gw0udm

It's probably overpriced from the above company. I would think whoever supplies polycarbonate sheet in your area might be a better bet. I think they're called "solar inserts". This is another source

Reply to
Stuart Noble

more proprietary forms (Ultralite 500, apparently) and the stuff from the above firm doesn't seem to run to that size. Polycool do seem to 'support' this sort so I guess I may have to go with them...

Thanks again for the help!

James

Reply to
gw0udm

Replying to my own post, I've found another source which appears to sell exactly the same product as Polycool but for less than half the price -

I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has used this stuff.

James

Reply to
gw0udm