Poll: lending tools

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

Reply to
Richard

What if I was naked?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get it back if I need it.

Reply to
F Murtz

Depends on the tool.

The occasional screwdriver ok.

Martindale electrical tester no way.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was thinking of things worth up to =A3100 or so.

-- =

Many contemplative moments spent I, squatting on a cold, sixteenth-centu= ry sandstone toilet bowl, its edges worn down by generations of shiverin= g buttocks. -- Edward Radclyffe

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't return something immediately they've finished, and get very apologetic if they forget and give it back the next day.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I had to remind someone - who promptly brought the items back but said he'd managed to break a bit off one. I few days later I told him I'd managed to repair it with a part costing £2.99 A few hours later an envelope containing exactly £2.99 appeared in my letter box.

Reply to
charles

On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:39:23 +0100, charles wr= ote:

te:

Indeed. When I borrowed my neighbour's welder and melted the rod grabbe= r, I bought a new one on Ebay and replaced it (although that was partly = so I could finish the job I was working on!)

-- =

California lawmakers are now proposing an amendment that would allow 14 = year olds a quarter vote and 16 year olds a half a vote in all state ele= ctions. How stupid is this? Don't they have enough trouble counting WHOLE votes?= How are they going to figure out fractions?!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I'll lend to and borrow from the decent ones, I've even replaced the handles on picks and sledge hammers I've borrowed that were rotten, I've hung on to his tin snips because I suspect I'll need them again before he does ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

44 years ago I borrowed a pair of tin snips from a very large bricklayer. He said in no uncertain terms that he wanted them back. I still have them.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup, like my Dad used to say, 'Never a lender or borrower be' (and I don't think he meant the 'little people') and if you did ever lend anything, do so on the assumption you would never get it back or back in the same condition.

Now, with some tools that might not matter as they could be old, or 'spares' / whatever, but I bet most of us have some tool they simply wouldn't lend out for some reason (be it sentimental, irreplaceable, expensive or somesuch)?

But there are people I will lend stuff to on the basis I know they will either repair or replace and without me having to ask them to.

It's like the bikers thing re lending bikes ... 'you drop it you buy it'. ;-)

I have actually gone out and bought new tools (an angle grinder was the latest case) to lend to a neighbour because I didn't want to risk getting my good grinders lost or damaged. If it does come back and is still ok then I get another angle grinder and will have done a neighbour a favour, win win (as you can't have too many angle grinders eh)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off having been temporarily re-attached.

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was returned!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Lovely. ;-(

I like the TV ad where the neighbour borrows a clutch of power tools and the lender takes a picture of him with them. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That saying is for money.

I assume everyone will do that. If they don't, they aren't worth knowing in the future.

And if it comes back broken, you replace it under warranty.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Then they were clearly faulty.

You do own a pen and paper?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Oh now that's a good idea. He should also be holding up a signed piece of paper saying I promise to return these in this condition.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Most people are more careful then me. I just broke the gearbox of my neighbour's electric saw.

Reply to
Mr Macaw