polishing marble

What can you use to get the smooth gloss finish on marble such as on the back panel and hearth for a fire sorround. Thank you for any help.

Reply to
jacquieg

Phil Anthropist

I'm not sure that's a very clever website - "Acid will dissolve it" but "try an application of naval jelly"?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Lots of polishing, or polish/lacquer. Are you still talking about your brown spots?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

nuetral(opaque) shoe polish and a polishing disc buffer.

Aldi had a car disc buffer polisher in stock a week or two ago at a reasonable cheap price. Pop into your nearest and see if they still have any in stock?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not really much help on polishing? Pity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When polishing marble, use a hard, white polish and a soft white cloth. Any colouring in the polish or cloth will stain. Rub the polish hard into the marble. For a matt finish use, a softer polish."

Use as powerful a drill as you can get and a lambswool polishing bonnet with the polish recommended.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

But what does this mean? Is it a wax, or an abrasive compound? New shiny marble doesn't have a wax type polish on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pumice powder or jewelleres rouge and a buffing wheel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh use some ruddy T-cut and a buffing wheel. Its all just abrasion. Get it fine enough and things look shiny.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's it - if it's really bad, a belt sander might be useful (haven't tried one for this), working down through grades, to flat the marble, then wet'n'dry down to 600 grade, then buffing. Not sure about "T-cut", it might stain.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I was hoping to know how marble masons do it. I somehow doubt they use T-cut. I don't either - even on a car. Overpriced rubbish. Farecla is the daddy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebut, nobut, you are so...not Halfords :-)

Try em all out on a scarp piece first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher