Polishing bells

I shall share this so you can all suffer.

The "Liberty Bell" in Philadelphia is an American icon. It's famed for its enormous crack.

a long discussion on different metals and their impact (!) on the sound of the bell.

Now you can all hum the Monty Python theme all night with me. It's Sousa's march "Liberty Bell"!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Beg pardon Matty: never noticed you before, probably because your spheres of interest rarely overlap mine. I _did_ notice your NZ address though, hence my suggestion that any advice to contact UK firms with a view to visiting wouldn't be a lot of use. (I wasn't underestimating him Dave: I wasn't making any judgement at all.)

J.

Reply to
Another John

I thought of trains pulled by steam engines.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

OT: Anyone see the Russian film Andrei Rublev? A classic, IMO. It ends with the casting of an enormous bell.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

No offence taken John. The group has been fascinated with his projects.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I thought about trams :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Like many New Zealanders I'm keen on d-i-y. A hundred years ago, spare parts from Britain took months to arrive, so my ancestors fabricated them instead. My father went through the depression of the 1930s and had no money to pay tradesmen. I've carried on and do almost everything myself. I'm possibly slower than some tradesmen but I have the time to do things properly. Now I have access to a good workshop, with lots of unusual projects to restore old machinery. Since the UK has a much bigger population than NZ, it's more likely that UK people wil be able to suggest solutions to problems.

Reply to
Matty F

Just the sort of philosophy you expect from people brought up with Hobbits all around ;-)

John

Reply to
JTM

Isn't that the movie that's going to be filmed in Ireland? :(

Reply to
Matty F

"Hobbit shooting starts" the headline said...

Reply to
Andy Champ

Reply to
Matty F