Poles

Had some unexpected Polish sub-contractors at my place the other day. Useless set of wankers, just out to make a quick buck clearly. Why anybody would want to employ Poles baffles me.

Get a cheap job but when they've f***d off back to Poland where are you? Especially on electricial or plumbing work. Why would anyone think they know anything about standards/regulations in the UK?

Reply to
harryagain

It's a while back now, but when I had some Polish workers doing some ground works for me they were extremely hard working and polite as well as not charging an arm and a leg.

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's possible the good workers have made their pot and buggered off home when the recession came and/or Poland's local prospects improved.

Like the way all the good people leave a sinking company - because they can.

My personal experience of polish builders has been the same - quiet and diligent.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wonder if Harry just p'd them off (probably insisted that Poland is an island in the middle of the Atlantic.) Dealt with a couple of Polish people breaking cars for parts and they've been great. Try to get anything out of the natives? Waste of time.

Reply to
Scott M

So did they do a shit job? What exactly did they do?

TBH the ones I have worked with have been superb hard working lads who did a god job.

Reply to
ARW

Because most people find them diligent, hard working and polite.

Reply to
Nightjar

/So did they do a shit job? What exactly did they do? /q

Indeed.

New inverter? More roof leaks on the solar downlink? Cleaning white encrusted panels?

So much for self sufficiency....:-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

On 07/12/2014 10:45, "Nightjar

Reply to
dennis

Well, I'd not expect them too, but one hopes their bosses do and make them do it correctly. Most Poles are hard workers, but as has been noted, often they are not told how to do things or make it up as they go along. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think you can generalise on such things, there are variations in all races. I had an otherwise good crowd decorating the outside of my house a few years back, except one who was shown exactly how to do it and they all went to prep the next job. He painted the wall while it was raining and it all fell off about 3 months later like dandruff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So complain to the contractor, refuse to pay until the works are completed to specification, regulations, etc etc.

Still in dispute with the contractor.

And of course "cheap - quick - quality". Choose any two.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I went to a Polish restaurant the other night. Food was terrible, but the plastering was superb.

Ill get me coat...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a name for that. It's called initiative - it's a skill that so many people have lost in this country.

Reply to
ARW

The plastering would have been done by the Bulgarians

Reply to
ARW

They wanted a raise.

Reply to
PeterC

Exactly what I did. They had to come back & do the work all over again.

But if you had say Polish electricians, how would the average person know whether the job was good or bad? When the house burnt down?

Reply to
harryagain

Well you're the sort of person whose job is at risk. Unless you're prepared to end up working for nothing and eating grass.

Reply to
harryagain

I had an English electrician do my house when I moved in last century. I am still finding bodges he thought were hidden forever.

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for the insight on why I should be worried.

Reply to
ARW