Pneumatic Seat Problem

My chair is one of those typical office types which has a lever under the seat which operates a small plunger on a height adjustment gas cylinder. With my short legs I've always been happy to have the chair at it's lowest height and for several years now its been content to stay at that setting but now its developed a mind of its own and rises unbidden each time I get up. It's easy to reduce the height again by operating the lever but it's really annoying having to do this 20/30 times a day.

I just want the chair to stay down at its lowest setting but can't see anyway of disabling the lift mechanism. I've sprayed the plunger with WD40 in case it was sticking and I've checked that the lever isn't depressing the plunger when it shouldn't. The gas lift seems to be a sealed unit with no obvious way of releasing the gas. I don't know what sort of pressure the gas is under, or how volatile it is, and am wondering if there is any danger in trying to drill a release hole. Don't want to blow myself up!!

All thoughts gratefully received.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A) Eat more pies, so the chair cannot cope. B) Glue lever down.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi Ian, A) Don't think the trouser waistband could cope with more pies. An alternative might be to tie some lead weights to the underside of the chair :-) B) Wouldn't work. It's when the plunger is down that the chair is free to move up or down depending on whether there is significant weight on the seat. When the plunger is up the seat is supposed to stay at the position it's at but now it continues to rise to its full extent. Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sorry, I meant glue the plunger down.

Reply to