pmsl

This is true if you are shopping in the UK. The problem is that most of these products is made only for the UK market. You can find some dual marked products in the U.S. but the majority are imperial only.

Then we complain because we are paying a price premium....

Unfortunately you are probably right. I would have hoped that come the millenium we could have dumped it, but I guess that it might take another generation or so to finally die.

Reply to
Andy Hall

=========================== It could be a very long generation because some of the old 'die-hards' continue to pass on their knowledge. The US connection will always have some influence and will probably help to maintain a virtual dual standard indefinitely.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 590 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Pondering about this, you'd think, wouldn't you, that the Americans could have come up with a better system for typing fractions on their computers? The only fractions in the standard character map are ½ ¼ and ¾. How do they enter something like 2 inches and 19/64ths?

I seem to remember there was a way of doing it in WordPerfect for DOS, but there's nothing in the MS Office suite as far as I can see.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

. It

=========================== I believe that there are in effect two parallel Imperial systems. Woodworkers and similar trades are happy enough to work to a relatively coarse tolerance of

1/16th" and use appropriate measuring implements. Engineers use the same Imperial scale but often work to much finer tolerances and use measuring instruments and tools appropriate to their refined needs. I doubt if many people measure their timber with a micrometer and a toolmaker wouldn't be satisfied with a joiner's boxwood rule.

Imperial is versatile even if it is heading for extinction.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 590 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Indeed but you will never convince a ( ! ) who claims to have an engineering degree of this.

-
Reply to
Mark

As I pointed out, one has to look at the *whole* picture including the conversions of eighths and 64ths to decimal before said addition.

On the other point, I have an engineering degree. Fact, and not a claim. Yourself?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Um... sorry, the key phrase in my post above was "something like" - ie, I didn't actually copy the data from his homework book! However the general point stands, in that the results were evidently extremely variable but with an overall trend of increasing with length (which was borne out by averaging the whole class' data, which makes the propertional effect apparent).

Possible, knowing my son, but more likely exerimental error judging by the overall spread of the class' numbers - which made the 10ms reported accuracy level all the more daft: measuring to the nearest 10s would have been about right!

Me too actually - given the uniform CSA of the ribbon I'd have expected the time to be length-independent. Although they were told to use fresh HCL each time, maybe they didn't use enough, so it became neutralised by the greater mass of Mg? We'll see what teacher says...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

All interesting stuff. I wonder if a lot of these issues stem from the type of practical work done today compared to when we went to school (e.g. the health and safety factor).

I wouldn't have expected the time to vary much at all since the acid would attack all of the ribbon in all cases.

I agree with you though. ~This would be a perfect opportunity to discuss the rounding of figures, although perhaps that is better done once all the figures are available.

How old is he?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Those would be the fractions that are present as glyphs in standard fonts.

IIRC WP could make fractions-on-demand (using Compose?)

Only way I can see is to make a fraction using the Insert>Field>Equation function, eg 2\F(19,64), then toggle the field codes on, select the \F(19,64) part and take the font size down to between half and two-thirds the normal text size.

Or use TeX, I'm sure it handles fractions beautifully.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm surprised the little darlings are still allowed to handle things like acid at all, with Health & Safety...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That conversion is avoided by using a rule marked in tenths/hundredths of an inch and a vernier or micrometer marked in thou. In fact I can't remember ever seeing an imperial micrometer marked in binary fractions

Honours Electronic Engineering - Machester - Class of '69

Reply to
dcbwhaley

If the ribbon is fairly thick the surface area/volume ratio will fall as the length increases and slow the burning rate.

Reply to
dcbwhaley

On some of the HP RPN calculators (well at least on the HP 32SII I've got in front of me) you'd just enter "2.19..64". Very simple and effective fraction entry, immediately converted to decimal when you hit enter, or a function or constant key.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It just looked like 0.1mm with you mentioning 47.6mm and 6.7mm, despite my comment I have to admit I recently thicknessed a couple of pieces of old floorboarding down to, if I recall correctly, within

0.05mm of my desired sizes - only as measured at that time though, take them indoors or let them cool off and they could measure anything! This was only done because I could, having recently bought a thicknesser I was experimenting. Not than another 0.5mm undersize would have made any difference to the end usage the pieces were not being used as floorboards it must be said. It just saved having to do any sanding.

When measuring and cutting wood I'd very rarely work to anything other than 1mm tolerance as my eyes are simply not up to it and I'm not about to use digital calipers regularly for woodworking purposes - I made a toolchest 25 years ago for my micrometers and the like. The dovetails on 2" high drawers were cut more or less by eye the joints were good according to the cabinetmaker of around 30 years experience who saw it shortly after I'd finished. I doubt they could have been cut with anything better than 1/32" accuracy. I certainly can't envisage anyone setting out (as opposed to fitting) any wood article to much better accuracy than that regardless of the type of wood.

Reply to
Matt

Sure it's not Class of '09, looking at your email address?! :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Of course. However, the starting point was 8ths and 64ths as measured by the typical DIY tape....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, but this is dissolving.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's one advantage.

I find that it's far better, easier and quicker to get the tolerances as close as possible to begin with and then to make small adjustments if needed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So what are you using to measure your 0.2mm wood cutting accuracy, an Imperial equivalent would be decimal so just as easy to use.

Nope, but then I don't have a problem calculating fractions. I also quite like Imperial measurements and thread forms as there is always one to match the job, be it Rods Fathoms, or a BSC thread. Metrication is just like the French, boring.

-
Reply to
Mark

For thicknessing, a calibrated digital caliper.

Why would I want to mix units? My woodworking machinery and tooling is metric, so there is no value in adding anither system of measurment.

Neither do I. It's simply an unnecessary extra step which adds a risk of errors being made.

These seem to be emotional rather than logical thoughts.

Nothing wrong with that, but they should be understood for what they are

Reply to
Andy Hall