Plywood

Probably a silly question, but what do North Americans call plywood? Plywood, perhaps? I know they call hardboard something else (can't remember what), but is ply the same here and there?
Thanks.
--
Graeme

It is the same naming. The thickness can be a shade different,
Hardboard is generally known as Masonite after the company that introduced it. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Excellent! Thanks, andy. I knew hardboard was a 'proper noun', but just couldn't remember which one. For some reason I kept thinking Homasite, but was sure it was wrong.
--
Graeme

There is Homasote, which is a company making building products from recycled materials, principally sound deadening boards.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Tim Mitchell

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:49:29 +0000, Tim Mitchell

It's a hardwood genus - family of species also known as Meranti. It is used in types of plywood made to poor standards and sold cheaply in the U.S. and originates from the rainforests of Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

produce though ....
David Hemmings wrote:

I think you mean slight = slur not sleight = presdigitation.

oops, heh, yep.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:18:53 +0000, David Hemmings

Not at all. It was more the issue of taking rain forest timbers and putting them into commodity materials....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

fires that can be seen from space, alongside the concommital reduction in native primate populations plummeting. Of course the unforunate thing is they slash these forests just to plants non sustainable crops e.g. sugar beet that will only grow for several seasons before the ground is worthless to get a quick buck. Hopefully before it is too late a proper regime will be enforced where any felling must be accompanied by appropriate reforestation.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:40:32 +0000, David Hemmings

Yes of course. Ultimately it entails money being thrown at the problem and the end consumer being willing to pay more.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

60s and 70s for work boards, as it's stiff, sturdy, cheapish, and takes T-pins easily. We bought 8'x4' sheets of it, cut them into suitable sizes, packaged them with T-pins, and sold them at a tidy profit!