plumbing - soil waste

Any hints on how to connect new waste pipe to old clay type (set in about 45cm concrete!). I am trying to move my downstairs loo by about

1.5m. So far I've just got a big hole and a glimpse of the clay pipe! I'm a bit worried about shattering the old pipe.

Cheers James

Reply to
james.ward

Hi

Is the old pipe truly encased with concrete adhering to it, or is it packed into gravel or something to allow for some ground movement?

If you can get a clear space around it then there are cutters (HSS do one) that are a bit like a car oil filter wrench. Loop it around, waggle the lever to slowly but surely cut the pipe off squarely.

You then get big rubber cuff type things with a jubilee/hose clip on each end to link up old and new. A material called Densotape with a layer of cement around it (doesn't have to be 45cm!) has also been descriped to me for doing this, but I've never seen it done.

If you're pipe is set in solid concrete then it's going to be a fun job achieving your aim. Is there a visible stack such that you can come out of the wall in the new location and run across to it with a suitable fall? It may look less sightly but it's going to be so much easier.

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

I am by no means a plumber, but

I recently had an exactly similar situation, and my plumber used a 'multifit' (I think that is the name) to connect into the existing buried clay pipe.

The end of this was a hard plastic pipe (slightly smaller external diameter than the clay's internal diameter), with softer plastic 'rings' around the outside which deformed as it was inserted into the clay pipe. These provided a tight (almost too tight - was a real bugger to get in) seal between plastic and clay

I have seen such fittings in my local plumbing supply shop ('City Plumbing' in Guildford)

Hope this helps

Reply to
Neal