Plumbing shower booster pump without connecting to electric supply mains

Hi

My plumber will be plumbing my shower booster pump (Stuart Turner Monsoon twin impeller 2.25 bar) to my bath shower mixer this weekend. However, he has said that he does not do electrics. He says, (and I agree with him in theory), that I just need to get it wired up at a later stage to the mains and it will work.

My question is, do I need to worry about any possible leaks occurring after the pump is switched on, or is it the case that if there are any leaks (i.e. incorrectly plumbed), that they will show up whether the pump is on or off. If its possible, I obviously need to have it working while he is there, so he can fix any leaks.

My worry is that when the pump is on, obviously the water will be being pumped out of the outlet pipes at a much higher pressure, and that this might cause leaks to appear that would not ordinarily be there when operating at normal (non pumped & gravity fed) hot and cold pressures.

I have very little plumbing knowledge, and so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Cheers GAZ

Reply to
Ghazali

I'd be worried about not testing a key component like this. However, can't you simpy wire it up temporarily? Just stick a 13A plug on the end of the shower pump wire and plug it into an extension lead.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

On 03/02/2004 Ghazali opined:-

The pressure will obviously be more with the pump running, therefore more chance of leaks. I would be inclined to fit a 13amp plug on the pump system and plug it into an extension to try it. Be very careful of the earthing arrangements and do not be tempted to do any more than test it with this arrangement.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On 03/02/2004 Rob Nicholson opined:-

Snap ;-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why?

I had mine plugged into a 13A socket. The socket was RCD protected to 30mA, although obviously not itself in the bathroom, as having a bathroom socket is not allowed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It depends on where the pump is.

Mine is in the airing cupboard in a bedroom. I changed the immersion heater FCU to a fused one, spurred off a 13amp outlet, and connected the shower pump using a 3amp plug top for ease of connection and maintenance.

If it's in the bathroom, I would connect to an unfused, unswitched flex outlet, running off a 3amp switched FCU somewhere accessible outside the door.

If the supplying circuit is not RCD protected use an RCD FCU. See

Doctor D.

And then, if the plumper requires it, take the plug off again until an electrician can make the final connections. I would have expected any plumper to have done this, unless he is willing to return at your convenience, and for free, when you get the electrician in.....

Reply to
Jerry.

The advice looks unanimous. Thanks guys for your help. I'll ensure I have a plug fitted to it when he does the pluming.

Incidentally what will happen to the pump if i test it without any water flowing through it (i.e. just air). I've heard this can be terminal - but is the effect immediate - or does it need to happen for a few minutes before it dies out on you ?

BTW - I won't be trying this - I was just curious.

GAZ

Reply to
Ghazali

Most don't switch on when energised until they sense water coursing through their veins. Pressure switches I believe - that's how they know when to switch on and off.

Reply to
Doctor D.

AIUI it depends on the construction of the pump, some will self destruct promto, others will be OK, so unless you know what you're dealing with.....

BTW this is pumps in general and not specific to shower pumps.

Reply to
Jerry.

And why should he return for free?? is the plumber running a charity?? No his time is money, so maybe the oOP should have arranged for a suitable supply adjacent to the pump prior to installation. Don't expect the plumber to do some thing for nothing or you may not get a good quality job.

A fair day's pay for a fair day's work.

Steve Dawson Fox Electrical Services Ltd

07907 940637
Reply to
Steve Dawson

He is refusing to test his work ! The plumper is refusing to connect up the unit, it wouldn't matter if there was an electricity supply to hand, in the words of the OP "he has said that he does not do electrics", so he (the plumper) should either arrange for an electrician to attend or return when an electrician will be present - after all the electrician 'might not do water'...

Very true, and a fair days work for a fair days pay !

Reply to
Jerry.

The plumber has given the customer notification prior to the job being started that he doesn't do electrics. If the customer is unhappy with this then he has ample opportunity to discuss this matter with the plumber. If the customer wants the pump working when it is fitted have the electrician wire the pump prior to final fitting and testing or make the final connections when the plumber has fitted the pump. If the plumber would have turned round after the pump was fitted then I could see there may be a problem.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Err how many IEE 16th Edition plumbers do you know then ? Or perhaps you take no notice of public liability insurance.

Reply to
Mark

Who said you have to be 16th edition approved to wire anything up. My Dad's a plumber, he 'does electrics', he's not 16th edition. His liability insurance covers him on 'other trades'. i.e. insured for doing 'some' electrical, carpentry etc...

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

It's possible that in the event something untoward happened as a result of his electrical plumbing then the insurance company might not be prepared to underwrite the work.

You can't just assume cover on these things.

Probably worthwhile your Dad considering doing the C&G2381 course at the local tech - 12 evening classes for around £100 and you get a certificate at the end (assuming the test is passed - and it's not difficult to do!).

PoP

PoP

Plumbing NVQ covers electrical work. the plumber is probably someone who picked it up. If he was full educated and qualified he would be able to connect up the pump.

Reply to
IMM

A I would have the electrician do the wiring and leave a switch adjacent to the pump position. The plumber then can fit and connect up the wire. If he can't do that he is a moron and don't hire him.

Reply to
IMM

2.25bar? You like an invigorating shower then, or is the shower upstairs from the pump?

We have an S-T 1.4bar twin impeller with about 5m of 15mm pipe between it and the shower and that is more than powerful enough but the pump and the shower are on the same floor.

One thing to be aware of is that they are quite noisy so bear that in mind when siting it. Ours is in the airing cupboard, sat on the slatted shelf, which is just studded walls and it makes a lot of noise in the adjacent bedroom. If I'd have thought about it beforehand I would have put a piece of paving slab on the shelf under the pump. Unfortunately there isn't room to lower the shelf to retro-fit one.

Reply to
Parish

Read my original reply FFS... :~(

What do you not understand about the word TEST, I have never expected the plumper to make the final electrical connection.

Reply to
Jerry.