Plumbing shower booster pump without connecting to electric supply mains

Page 1 of 2
Hi
My plumber will be plumbing my shower booster pump (Stuart Turner Monsoon twin impeller 2.25 bar) to my bath shower mixer this weekend. However, he has said that he does not do electrics. He says, (and I agree with him in theory), that I just need to get it wired up at a later stage to the mains and it will work.
My question is, do I need to worry about any possible leaks occurring after the pump is switched on, or is it the case that if there are any leaks (i.e. incorrectly plumbed), that they will show up whether the pump is on or off. If its possible, I obviously need to have it working while he is there, so he can fix any leaks.
My worry is that when the pump is on, obviously the water will be being pumped out of the outlet pipes at a much higher pressure, and that this might cause leaks to appear that would not ordinarily be there when operating at normal (non pumped & gravity fed) hot and cold pressures.
I have very little plumbing knowledge, and so apologies if this is a stupid question.
Cheers GAZ

I'd be worried about not testing a key component like this. However, can't you simpy wire it up temporarily? Just stick a 13A plug on the end of the shower pump wire and plug it into an extension lead.
Cheers, Rob.
On 03/02/2004 Rob Nicholson opined:-

Snap ;-)
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

And then, if the plumper requires it, take the plug off again until an electrician can make the final connections. I would have expected any plumper to have done this, unless he is willing to return at your convenience, and for free, when you get the electrician in.....

And why should he return for free?? is the plumber running a charity?? No his time is money, so maybe the oOP should have arranged for a suitable supply adjacent to the pump prior to installation. Don't expect the plumber to do some thing for nothing or you may not get a good quality job.
A fair day's pay for a fair day's work.
Steve Dawson Fox Electrical Services Ltd 07907 940637

He is refusing to test his work ! The plumper is refusing to connect up the unit, it wouldn't matter if there was an electricity supply to hand, in the words of the OP "he has said that he does not do electrics", so he (the plumper) should either arrange for an electrician to attend or return when an electrician will be present - after all the electrician 'might not do water'...

Very true, and a fair days work for a fair days pay !

started that he doesn't do electrics. If the customer is unhappy with this then he has ample opportunity to discuss this matter with the plumber. If the customer wants the pump working when it is fitted have the electrician wire the pump prior to final fitting and testing or make the final connections when the plumber has fitted the pump. If the plumber would have turned round after the pump was fitted then I could see there may be a problem.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Jerry. snipped-for-privacy@scarts.f.co.uk typed:

Err how many IEE 16th Edition plumbers do you know then ? Or perhaps you take no notice of public liability insurance.

My Dad's a plumber, he 'does electrics', he's not 16th edition. His liability insurance covers him on 'other trades'. i.e. insured for doing 'some' electrical, carpentry etc...
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:48:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

It's possible that in the event something untoward happened as a result of his electrical plumbing then the insurance company might not be prepared to underwrite the work.
You can't just assume cover on these things.
Probably worthwhile your Dad considering doing the C&G2381 course at the local tech - 12 evening classes for around 100 and you get a certificate at the end (assuming the test is passed - and it's not difficult to do!).
PoP
(Lurch) wrote:

Plumbing NVQ covers electrical work. the plumber is probably someone who picked it up. If he was full educated and qualified he would be able to connect up the pump.

typed:

Read my original reply FFS... :~(
What do you not understand about the word TEST, I have never expected the plumper to make the final electrical connection.
Jerry. snipped-for-privacy@scarts.f.co.uk typed:

"in the words of the OP "he has said that he does not do electrics", so he (the plumper) should either arrange for an electrician"
Depends how you read that! Any decent plumper will wire up to a suitable adjacent speir. But some rightly get arssy if the customer expects a wiring job back to the CU.

A I would have the electrician do the wiring and leave a switch adjacent to the pump position. The plumber then can fit and connect up the wire. If he can't do that he is a moron and don't hire him.
says...

I'm afraid I'd have to agree!!
There, I did it... I publicly agreed with IMM... Must... go.. lie down...
--
http://www.mxf.info - information for developers of mxf systems

That is encouraging. You are learning at last.

IMM do you include your god and goddess in that statement?. They are lawyers aren't they?.
ATB Kris

And at least two of the court jesters are lawers too !

The problem with writing law is to make the written meaning mean what was meant to mean and not get interpreted to mean some other meaning IYSWIM.

The same problem occurs when writing a legal contract, you would not thank them for sloppy (legal) wording if it cost you tens of thousands of pounds in a contract that was found to be legally worthless by a better lawyer.

Yes I know. What is amusing about the Directives is that the preamble is written as one long sentence. If you take out every "whereas" and punctuate everything becomes quite clear.

business points with the other party, and only then involve the lawyers to check the construction and legal standing.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl