Plumbing regs and isolators

Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink, but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

Reply to
cd

I don't think any BRs cover number and position of isolation valves so you do what you want.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The only reg you might have is an anti-syphoning or one-way valve may need to be fitted on the potable water supply.

Reply to
zaax

THanks, guys.

Potable? Why not just say drinking? Aqua Potable is a Spanish term for drinking water, don't want that foreign muck over here. ;-)

This isn't drinking water anyway.

Reply to
cd

Yes.

There are no rules regarding how you arrange internal isolators - do what you like.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ot: I see in a few central heating installations there are stickers saying words to the effect "disconnect filling loop after use". But they are they ever?

ott: How to disconnect a CH filling loop. Is that long valve thing on the feed to the CH system a non-return valve (Hence the wings on it)? I don't want to undo one and see the contents flooding out!

Reply to
mike

yup...

What rules there are for plumbing don't usually cover useful stuff like usability and maintainability. (typically they are just protecting the cleanliness of the supply, and attempting to impose energy efficiency on you).

Reply to
John Rumm

The latest building regs have replaced potable with "wholesome" anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well there are some... like no isolator in the vent pipe of a vented heating system ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Funnily enough I took this at the place I was working today

I can't see a problem having an isolator on the outlet, but I can't see a good reason for it either.

Reply to
Graham.

It depends I guess if it is parallel with another source or not, like a boiler (as a backup)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Presumably to allow displaced pipe scale to count as dietary roughage :-)

Reply to
fred

Except that the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations require pipework under concrete or solid floors etc. to be sleeved "to ensure that the pipework is accessible and/or can be removed for maintenance or repair."

This is quite a useful practical guide:

Andy Wade

Indeed... useful link.

I take back some of what I said above then - they seem to have expanded the scope of the WRAS regulations since last I looked. (although admittedly I was thinking more about building regs rather than WRAS previously)

This one caught my eye:

Q. CAN A PUMP BE INSTALLED ON A SUPPLY PIPE TO BOOST LOW PRESSURE?

A. Yes - Pumps are allowed to be installed on supply pipes. However if the pump is capable of delivering more than 12 litres per minute, you must notify your water supplier and seek their consent before starting any work. Notification Page >>

Reply to
John Rumm