Plumbing quote

Hi all,

I just had the following quote for some plumbing work in my flat and wondered if it's good value, or if I'm being ripped off. Let's assume that he's competent. He was recommended by a local plumbers merchant.

1=2E Installation of new boiler (with power flush) =A3650. (It would be a combi that I supply, and he would fit it in the same place. I don't know what a power flush is.)

2=2E Installation of new waste for kitchen and applicances =A390. (Cutting out a bottom section of the vertical pipe running from the flat above to the flat below, inserting a new section with a spigot below floor level, running the new pipe along the route of the wall that I have knocked down, and on to the proposed new location of the sink etc. Difficult as he says that he will need to dig 50mm down into the concrete around the pipe in order to get the new fitting at the right height for the spigot to be underground.)

3=2E Remove existing water tank, hot water cylinder, pipes not required =A3300. (This is as a result of fitting the combi boiler and would result in much more cupboard space.)

4=2E Replumbing for kitchen - hot and cold water =A3150. (As per 2 but without the issue of the vertical pipe.)

He says that if I give him the job, he'll move the necessary GCH pipes to enable me to fit narrower radiators, for free for a couple of radiators.

Is there anything else I should ask him? Comments appreciated.

Antony

Reply to
antgel

Without seeing the installation it's hard to see how he's priced it (e.g. to me 2 sounds cheap, 3 sounds expensive) but overall it doesn't sound like a ripoff. For the overall cost of his work of about £1200 compared with around £750 you'll be paying for a boiler not to mention all the other stuff, I'd be more concerned with having a good job done than the odd £100 here or there.

You could ask about whether your CH controls need upgrading to comply with energy efficiency regs, does he need to fit TRVs to rads, what boilers he recommends, will he have to upgrade the gas pipe, what are these condensing boilers and do you have to have one, what is a power flush ... and other questions .... after googling and asking/discussing them here so you have some idea whether what he tells you sounds reasonable.

Reply to
John Stumbles

He recommended Worcester Bosch and Ideal boilers. He didn't mention CH controls or TRVs. He did mention that he _might_ have to upgrade the gas pipe, but it would be unlikely (I forget why the upgrade might be necessary - the block was built in 1987 if that helps). He did mention that I would need a condensing boiler and it would be a pain to fit in my hall cupboard as it needs a drain. So overall, not bad. I'll give him a call and ask him about the first couple of points.

Reply to
antgel