Plumbing question - sticking taps

Hi,

Just recently the hot tap on the bath started sticking so I couldn't open it fully. Initially it would only go half way but now it basically won't open at all. The bathroom sink tap is now going the same way and I wondered if this might be due to a common cause or is it most likely just that they would have been bought at the same time so are failing at the same time ?

Is there anything I can do to fix them other than just buying new taps (I'm on the dole atm and can't really spare the price of decent taps and don't want to buy tat as an interim measure if I can avoid it).

Thanks,

David

Reply to
mangled_us

Sounds like limescale or corrosion build up inside the tap. Most taps can be dismantled to clean the insides. Some are dead easy, just turn off the water, unscrew the lever. then unscrew the insert to clean them, others are a lot more difficult to get apart in one piece. If you can get it apart, and see white paste or green corrosion, then give it a good clean, put it together, and try it, usually cleaning sorts it for a while. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Could be limescale build-up as someone else suggested, or possibly the moving core of the tap has come out of it's guide. I had this happen with my bath tsps a couple of times. Rather depends on the construction and it's a bit diificult to put into words but obvious when you look at the tap head......

The tap head will probably be three pieces, the body, a spindle through the top of the handle with a thread, and a moveable washer assembly, actioned by turning the spindle.

Rotate the spindle clockwise - closing the tap - and the washer assembly will emerge fully from inside the tap head. Keep on turning and it will come right off the end of the spindle.

In the case of my taps, the washer assembly is hexagonal brass which screws onto the end of the spindle. The body of the tap head has a corresponding hexagonal guide socket inside. The washer assembly slides up and down in this socket as the spindle is turned on or off.

I've found that if the washer wears a bit thin, the mounting assembly can actually come right out of the guide socket if the tap is turned off vigorously. Open the tap, the washer assembly isn't then lined up properly and the tap either won't open at all or only a very small amount. I've found the easiest way to reinstal the washer assembly is to remove the small circlip at the top of the tap head that holds the spindle in place and push the spindle down through the body of the tap head. Screw the washer assembly onto to the spindle and then line up the washer assembly with the tap head before pushing the whole lot back into the tap head. Don't forget to refit the circlip.

Quite by chance, I also happen to have some waterproof high temp pump grease, and I've found it also helps to add a thin smear of that to all surfaces before re-assembly. I guess vaseline would do.

As I said this works for mine. If yours if vastly different, you'll need to take a good look as you take it all to pieces.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I've found a couple of times that the circlip has come off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman