plumbing in a water heater

I've bought an instant type water heater (like an electric shower unit) from Screwfix. The inlet and outlet are plastic and threaded for a normal 15mm compression fitting (one nut and olive supplied) except the copper pipe can't be inserted into the fitting which means the olives have to be at the very end of the pipe. This doesn't seem to work - very difficult to make water tight and both pop off when another tap on the line is turned on/off. Is there some sort of special fitting like a tap fitting, which will do the job? A tap fitting won't do it because it has a short spigot, which I suppose I could file off. Or should an olive at the tip of the pipe work OK and the problem is my plumbing technique? Or should I attempt to drill out a bit of the plastic so that the pipe will go in? Or should I send it back to Screwyou? But I've already put in the cable, pipe, RCD etc.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

You just want a 15mm compression x 1/2 FI thread fitting like

Tony Bryer

On 11 Dec 2004 11:09:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@jpbutler.demon.co.uk strung together this:

The problem isn't with the heater, it's the pipe. Sounds like you've been cutting the pipe with a hacksaw. If you were to use a Copex cutter it would slide in easily. You need to deburr the pipe the try it.

Reply to
Lurch